Can Shopify stores facilitate partial payments for rental services?

MiaC
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi guys, 

I'm looking for some advice please. I'm just setting up my shopify store and looking into payment options. I have a rental service based business, where people hire equipment for an evening. I have set up a booking system where people can select the day they wish to hire and now I'd like to take a set fee when people book the date as a sort of 'security deposit' - and then collect the remaining payment 14 days before their booking date. 

So, my question: is there a way to advertise a product at a certain price but then only take a percentage of that price upfront when people book? A sort of partial payment? And if so, how is the final payment then taken? Is there an app that allows to schedule payment dates automatically? 

Thanks! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Mia 🙂 

Replies 3 (3)

gem_np
Visitor
2 0 0

did you ever find a solution to this? I need something similar where I take a payment as a retainer and the balance (with tax on the full price) is taken at a later date.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @gem_np,

This is something that can be achieved through partial payment apps, which allow the customer to pay a certain amount up front before the rest of the payment is collected at a later date. You can check out these apps which offer this functionality:

This would be the easiest option for you, although you could also do this manually by allowing customers to checkout and buying only a deposit, and then invoicing them manually when they are due to pay the rest using draft orders.

I hope this has helped, but please let me know if you have more questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CST
Shopify Partner
53 2 15

Hi @MiaC & @gem_np 

We're a bit late to the party on this post, but I thought I would mention that BookThatApp supports taking a partial deposit for a service or for a rental.   The deposit can be set either as a percentage of the service fee or rental amount or as a set dollar amount.   The app then allows you to generate an order for the balance of payment with one click. 

An added benefit is that the deposit functionality is integrated into BookThatApp which means you only need a single app for takings bookings with a deposit.   

Feel free to chat with us at https://support.zetya.com or drop us a line at support@zetya.com if you want more information.

Cheers,

Chris

https://www.bookthatapp.com