Can Shopify correctly reflect partial payments in monthly sales reports?

RG1
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi, We use the Shopify Partial Payments option to collect part payment such as a deposit on a custom order. When the customer returns to pay the next installment or final balance, we go back to the original Shopify transaction and collect the remaining payment/s. The issue we are having is that if the whole order is not paid for within a single month (eg first payment made at the end of August, next payment made in early September) then when we generate the August sales reports at the end of August, it shows the entire purchase cost as a sale for August even though only part has been paid. 

Eg. A customer purchases an item for $500 on August 27th. They pay $100, which we collect and mark as 'partially paid' in shopify. On September 2nd they return and pay another $200 towards their item as another partial payment. However, when we generate the sales reports for the month of August, it will show the purchase as the full $500, not the $100 which was paid during August. 

Thanks 

Replies 5 (5)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 518

Hi @RG1,

What you are describing here is expected behaviour. Sales within Shopify analytics are recorded and logged on the day the order is placed, irrespective of when payments for the order are made. The full value of the order will be marked as a sale even if you do not receive full payment for the order until the following month. This is explained in our sales reporting documentation on the Shopify Help Center:

Sales versus payments

Sales reports don't track money moving between you and your customers. When a sale is made, the reports show the value of goods included in the sale, not the amount of money that you've received. Depending on how you've set up your payment methods, you might not receive the actual payment until a later date.

Similarly, when you process a return, the reports show the value of goods that you're receiving, not the amount of money that you're issuing to the customer.

If you wish to better track when money has changed hands between you and your customer, you should use the finance reporting options available within the Analytics section of your Shopify admin.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

RG1
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks so much, that's helpful

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 518

Hi @RG1,

No problem at all. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Report-Pundit
Trailblazer
303 11 20

Hi @RG1 ,

Report Pundit has the option to show the part payments received for each respective month.

As per your example, we can show the $100 part payment received in the month of August and the remaining amount received later in the respective months. 

You can reach us at support@reportpundit.com or contact our live chat support team for more help.

Thanks,

John

Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards
RG1
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks for the info!