Solved

Can a minor use parent's SSN and debit card for Shopify payments?

NANAK190
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi, I am a 16-year-old currently residing in the US but I do not have an SSN since I was not born here, I wanted to start a Shopify store and business, but I was wondering, In the Shopify payments Tab should I put my parent's information(SSN and fill it out in their name) or do I need to start another account in their name(email and whatever info is needed to start an account) and make another website and start the process all over again. I started this account on my email and whatever information is required, I do not know if the account is in my name and that I am able to have someone else take the payments for me.

Another question in regards to the first one, If I do put their information can I link a debit card that I use but it is also in my parent's name.

Accepted Solutions (2)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @NANAK190!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out to us here to detail your situation and it's great to hear you're so keen to get started!

In this case, due to your age, you would in fact need to have a guardian on your account.

Not to worry, as you can reach out to us via our help centre where we'll be able to get this reviewed for you.

Just confirm there that you're looking to get your guardian's details used for your accounts due to your age and we'll be able to escalate this to our Business team internally for review.

Do you know what else you need to work on next for your store apart from this?

Would you have a launch date in mind yet?

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again @NANAK190!

Don from Shopify once more.

Thanks for getting back to me here again.

Do you know what else you've still got to get sorted for your store before the big day?

We recommend to new merchants that they consider drawing up a business plan and a marketing plan, as they're both really great tools to help you organize your thinking.

Have you thought about how you intend to sell to or how you might reach them yet?

Let us know if there's anything at all we can help out with as you work on your store.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @NANAK190!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out to us here to detail your situation and it's great to hear you're so keen to get started!

In this case, due to your age, you would in fact need to have a guardian on your account.

Not to worry, as you can reach out to us via our help centre where we'll be able to get this reviewed for you.

Just confirm there that you're looking to get your guardian's details used for your accounts due to your age and we'll be able to escalate this to our Business team internally for review.

Do you know what else you need to work on next for your store apart from this?

Would you have a launch date in mind yet?

Regards,

Don

NANAK190
Tourist
4 0 1

Yes I was hoping to get the website launched before the second week of next month, That is all I need to get my website up and running

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again @NANAK190!

Don from Shopify once more.

Thanks for getting back to me here again.

Do you know what else you've still got to get sorted for your store before the big day?

We recommend to new merchants that they consider drawing up a business plan and a marketing plan, as they're both really great tools to help you organize your thinking.

Have you thought about how you intend to sell to or how you might reach them yet?

Let us know if there's anything at all we can help out with as you work on your store.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

NANAK190
Tourist
4 0 1

Yes, once I am sure of the way my website looks and transfer the ownership to my parents, I will use Facebook marketing and other models of ads to promote my page, and i really appreciate the support from you too 🙂

NANAK190
Tourist
4 0 1

Yes i am looking to get my guardians info used for my account and have contacted help centre. Thanks for the help