Solved

Why am I required to provide a business registration number for Shopify payments?

Jz18
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, would someone give me help on this? Recently I received an email about updating some information for shopify payment, but when I filled out the information, it forces me to fill out the business registration number. 

but I am an individual seller and not holding any companies, which means I can not use shopify any more? 

Accepted Solution (1)

Greta
Shopify Staff
1099 118 139

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, @Jz18!

Thank you for your post. I'm happy to share some information with you that will hopefully clear the situation up.

You do not need to be a registered corporation or company; however, as of September 3rd, individuals in Hong Kong fall into the same category as sole proprietorships, and will need to be registered with the Hong Kong government to use Shopify Payments. You will be asked to submit your government-issued BRN (Business Registration Number) to sign up for or to continue using Shopify Payments. 

If, due to this change, you are no longer eligible to use Shopify Payments, that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to use the Shopify platform to host your store. You can continue to have your store on Shopify, and the only difference would be that you would need to select a third-party payment processor. You can find the full list of payment gateways available in Hong Kong here. This help document goes over the steps to add a third-party payment provider to your store.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this! 

Greta | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Greta
Shopify Staff
1099 118 139

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, @Jz18!

Thank you for your post. I'm happy to share some information with you that will hopefully clear the situation up.

You do not need to be a registered corporation or company; however, as of September 3rd, individuals in Hong Kong fall into the same category as sole proprietorships, and will need to be registered with the Hong Kong government to use Shopify Payments. You will be asked to submit your government-issued BRN (Business Registration Number) to sign up for or to continue using Shopify Payments. 

If, due to this change, you are no longer eligible to use Shopify Payments, that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to use the Shopify platform to host your store. You can continue to have your store on Shopify, and the only difference would be that you would need to select a third-party payment processor. You can find the full list of payment gateways available in Hong Kong here. This help document goes over the steps to add a third-party payment provider to your store.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this! 

Greta | Shopify 

martinjoubert
Visitor
2 0 0

Good day Greta, 

I was not aware of the changes to shopify payment platform in Hong Kong regarding the business registration number. I have had sales come through my website, they are however now in a ‘pending’ status on my payouts. Will these sale amounts bounce and return back to customer or are they stored on Shopify dashboard? 
I’m really struggling to sort out my payments and payout section. 

Please help, 

Regards 

BabyElephant8
Visitor
1 0 0

hi. which 3rd payment method have to change too?

Greta
Shopify Staff
1099 118 139

Hi there, @BabyElephant8!

Thank you for your question. You can use any of the payment gateways listed on this page. If you would like to learn more about any of these payment providers or have any questions about their requirements, you can contact them directly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Greta | Shopify