Can Shopify payments and other methods be customer payment options?

FlorianHeesen
Tourist
10 0 1

Can we add shopify payments and other payment methods both as payment options for customers ?

Replies 3 (3)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @FlorianHeesen 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really good question. If you are using Shopify Payments as a payment gateway Shopify Payments will be used for capturing credit card payments. You will not be able to use any other payment gateway to capture credit card payments. You would not need to. You can read more about Shopify Payments here

You can, however, use payment gateways such as PayPal to capture other payments i.e. you can use the PayPal gateway to capture payments made via PayPal accounts. You can learn more about PayPal's integration with Shopify here

You can also set up an alternative payment method to allow your customers to pay for their orders online using something other than a credit card. For example, cryptocurrency is a popular option that allows your customers to pay without going through a bank or another institution. You can learn all about alternative payment gateways here.

As you are new to Shopify, I would recommend reading our guide on getting support from the Shopify Community here so you are best equipped when looking for support through these forum boards. I would also recommend taking a look at our introductory guide to Shopify here in our Help Center. The Help Center is packed with brilliant resources on everything Shopify-related to help you get started. 

What is it that you are planning on selling with Shopify? I would love to know more about your business so that I can provide more specific resources to help you get started.

In the meantime, as you are getting started I would definitely recommend taking a look at our Essential Shopify Store Launch Checklist before going live to make sure you don't miss anything. We also have this great Buyer Trust 101 post which goes through how to make your store more trustworthy to customers so that they will check out. 

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

FlorianHeesen
Tourist
10 0 1

That's helpful Bo. Thank you for your quick reply.

So as I understand that when shopify payments is used the customer can still used all major credit card options to pay without having to create any special shopify payments account and it is just that shopify payment gateway will process this payments from different payment methods (credit card companies for example). Am I right ? 

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

That is absolutely correct! If you have Shopify Payments enabled in your store your customers will then simply checkout with their credit card details. Shopify Payments is a credit card processor powered by Stripe. 

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.