Can you use PayPal for multiple Shopify stores?

karife
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi

I have had a  Shopify store since 2019 and I opened another one last week.

I am trying to add PayPal check out, but when I get linked into PayPal, it pops up that I have a store linked to my Paypal account yet.

Can I not have two stores and use Paypal in both?

I do not understand. Thanks

Reply 1 (1)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Hi, @karife.

This isn't something that neither Shopify nor PayPal restricts, so yes you're able to use the same PayPal account for multiple stores. There are a couple of things that you need to be aware of, however, if you choose to do this:

1. Because both of your store's payouts will appear on the same PayPal account, you might find that separating your payouts for tax purposes at tax time may require more time and work.
  2. There is also a common error that occurs for a lot of users that use the same PayPal account on multiple Shopify stores. You can read more about this error on our help guide here, which also offers a workaround that you can implement on your store.

If you're running into issues when attempting to connect your PayPal account to your second Shopify store, can you make sure that you're logged out of any paypal.com accounts that you might currently have open in a different tab on your browser? From there, you can then try to re-add the PayPal account to your Shopify store. Alternatively, you can also complete this process via an incognito window to rule out any browser caching issues.

Feel free to take a look at our help document here on setting up PayPal, in case you need a step-by-step guide to further help.

While we're on the topic of payment providers, I'm also just going to make sure that you have Shopify Payments enabled on your store, if you're eligible for it? The reason that I ask is because when Shopify Payments is enabled, you won't be charged third-party transaction fees for orders processed through PayPal. So just thought I'd highlight this as well, in case you didn't know.

Let me know if I can clarify any of the information above!

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog