Paypal not getting subdomain to redirect back

jc1337
Tourist
10 0 3

Hello guys

first post here, hopefully doing it the right way 😉
Dont know if I am allowed to provide the shop name.

So, the setup first:
We are using a german shop and Weglot as translation app. The different languages are located on a subdomain each, e.g. en.domain.de. The subdomains have a cname pointing to Weglot and are not setup in Shopify. The languages are also not setup in Shopify. This is how Weglot recommend the setup. We got Paypal and Paypal Express running.

Paypal Express is working fine as we see it.

The problem is the usual Paypal payment:
When I enter checkout on a subdomain the checkout is also on this subdomain. I enter the shipping adress, confirm, confirm shipping costs and go to payment. I select Paypal and hit the button. Now paypal.com opens and I can login. The first issue is here: The back to shop link is pointing to our domain without a subdomain. After I confirm paypal and get redirected back to the shop, the subdomain is also missing and I have to insert my shipping adress again.

My research on this:
When I have a look at the checkout page, where the payment is selected, some data is setup for Paypal:

"paypalConfig":{"domain":"domain.de","environment":"production","merchantId":"XXX","buttonVersion":"v3","venmoSupported":false,"locale":"en_US","shopId":XXX},"offsiteConfigs":null,"supportsDiscounts":false,"supportsGiftCards":false,"checkoutDisabled":false}

As you can see, domain is set to our domain and not including the subdomain. Also the language is set to "en_US" always. But in front of this paypalConfig the language is set correctly: "locale":"fr"
Maybe the issue can be found here, I dont know.

Any ideas on how we can tell Paypal the correct referrer?

Thanks very muc for helping!

Replies 9 (9)

jc1337
Tourist
10 0 3

Update on this issue:

we were able to edit the paypalconfig information and inserted the subdomain on this one. it does not help.

any other idea? thanks for helping!

BlauesWunder
4 0 0

Hi 

After hours of fault finding we just concluded that we have the EXACT same problem as you. 

Were you able to find a fix for this? 

jc1337
Tourist
10 0 3

unfortunately we could not. we used CSS manipulation in Weglot to remove Paypal in checkout for other countries as main language

in Weglot dashboard select language switcher, then custom css box:

html[lang="fr"] div[data-gateway-name="paypal"] {
display: none!important;
}

since Paypal Express is still working in all countries, customer have to select this one

BlauesWunder
4 0 0

Thank you!

I'll update you if we find a better fix. 

MatteoMatcha
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey guys, we are also experiencing the same problem and I was wondering if you found a solution to this issue? Thanks

jc1337
Tourist
10 0 3

We switched to another translation app

Now our subdomains are pointing to shopify (not weglot) and therefore paypal (express and usual) is working

MatteoMatcha
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you jc1337, may I ask what app are you using now? 

We were able to finally contact paypal technical support, they run some tests and they didn't find any issue. this whole situation is however worrying...

jc1337
Tourist
10 0 3

we are using langshop now. paypal is working as it should, as the subdomains are now pointing (CNAME) to Shopify

BK435
Tourist
9 1 4

Hi we have the same issue. I recognized it very late after a customer explained it to me. We lost 80% of our customers in France is there any way that we can fix this problem?? @weglot-team