Can I use PayPal for selling OTC supplements on my new store?

hwllc
Visitor
1 0 0

I registered my new store with Shopify Payments. Can I enable PayPal if I sell OTC supplements? I read somewhere that you can't use Paypal if you sell health products.

Replies 3 (3)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Greetings, @hwllc.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

I understand that you're looking to see if you can enable PayPal for selling OTC supplements. I'm afraid this isn't something that we can confirm, as we're unable to provide that level of legal advice - especially with the varying regulations between countries and states. Instead, we encourage speaking with a local legal advisor about which types of products are classified as health products and how your business can be permitted to sell them. So that you have the most accurate information for moving forward with your business, I'd also recommend reviewing PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy and Commercial Entity Agreement with your legal advisor.  

That being said, since you're using Shopify Payments, then I'd also recommend reviewing the Shopify Payments Terms of Service (B.5). If your supplements have not been approved by a regulatory body, then they could be classified as Pseudo pharmaceuticals and wouldn't be supported by Shopify Payments.  

Pseudo pharmaceuticals
Nutraceuticals, pseudo-pharmaceuticals and other products that make health claims that have not been approved or verified by the applicable local and/or national regulatory body.

Has your supplements been approved or verified by a regulatory body? If so, did you get a chance to provide the business documents to our Payments team?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

katysipsclub
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Elias! Could you send me the email address and contact information for the payments team? I am launching a drink supplement company that has been approved by a regulatory body, and has SUP facts verified. 

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

Hi @katysipsclub 

Our payments team and the team that would handle reviews of this nature do not have a direct contact that I can provide. I recommend uploading the products as a draft, ensuring all their details are available, and connecting with our authenticated chat support team to request a manual review to be done. Generally the review is initiated automatically by our system, but you can reach out and request a review to ensure your products align with Shopify Payments. 

To access our authenticated support, please follow this link: Shopify Help Center. Open the AI chat window and type "Contact Support" to get started. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog