Priority Mail cost to customer changed

Thomas_Mains
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello,

Anyone know why the cost of Priority Mail that my customers pay is so low. Ever since Shopify implemented Cubic Rate, 90% of my orders are now Priority mail with my customers paying $1-$3 less than what I'm being charged using Shopify shipping. I increased my default package size, which didn't help. By doing so, I noticed a drop in sales for smaller items. So no matter which direction I go, I'm losing money.

Contacted Shopify and was told it was my settings, yet before the Cubic Rate was implemented, my shipping costs were spot on.

If there's no fix for this, does anyone have a suggestion as to what shipping services I should switch to? My normal shipping box sizes are between 6" x 4" x 4" to 14" x 10" x 10". With most everything under 2lbs.

Thank you

Replies 7 (7)

verdebirdie
Excursionist
18 0 38

I started noticing this last week too.  If the PO is charging more for Priority Mail now, why doesn't Shopify reflect this to the customers when they buy from us?  Why do only the shippers pay more? This is unfair. It has nothing to do with settings on our end. Shopify please fix your USPS settings.

verdebirdie
Excursionist
18 0 38

today I will remove Priority Mail as an option. I just shipped an order where the customer paid $10.53 for priority and shopify  usps was charging $23. I changed the shipping to UPS and still paid $4 more than what the customer paid.  why is this?

42nerdtasticpl
Tourist
5 0 1

I noticed this once the cubic mail option was turned on. For example, I had a customer order 20 candles which would normally be about $30-40 in shipping. They were only charged $10.50. I assume this was because I never updated my package sizes in shopify settings. (I ship my orders through ship station and never had a need to put my box sizes in shopify). I bumped my default box size up to my largest one hoping that’ll stop the issue but I don’t want to find out the hard way when some lady purchases another large order. 😣 I wish I could turn off cubic shipping. 

verdebirdie
Excursionist
18 0 38

I turned off PRIORITY as an option in my USPS shipping profile.  This works much better since the customer now usually selects UPS or USPS parcel select.  I see what they pay, box up the order and after measuring and weighing, I ship thru the cheapest fastest way. Example today a person selected USPS parcel ground select (15 days to deliver to HI) but for only $0.40 more I could get Priority, so I sent it Priority mail.  I can still SELECT priority as a shipping option.   I will turn Priority Mail back on in January after the CUBIC is removed from Shopify.  This solution is working well judging by the orders I received and shipped today.

koswalt
Visitor
1 0 0

Very helpful, I'm going to try this!

BinxBox
Visitor
1 0 0

I FINALLY FIGURED THIS OUT!

I've been going crazy for days looking through everything to fix this issue. what I just found while looking at this entry was: You have to change to "First Class Package" not "First Class." If you only choose "First Class" that's just for envelopes, so it won't apply to a package, thus it won't show it as an option.

So choose "First Class Package" & now all options show up!Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 3.18.45 PM.png

patrickzero
Visitor
1 0 1

Sadly, this solution did not work for me. I had already selected the First Class Package and am still having the priority mail option undercharging the customer.

Is there anyone who has figured out another solution? The only option for the customer if I remove priority would be super expensive priority mail express.

A very annoying issue indeed.