Product-specific packaging options?

wookersonadmin
Visitor
1 0 5

Hey, this is an issue I've called and otherwise tried to get help with a few times, unsuccessfully. Our shop sells a variety of types of products, as small as stickers and as big as rugs. As a result, we ship using different mailers, boxes, and tubes. And while you're able to add a number of packages to the "Shipping and delivery" preferences in Shopify, you can only set one as the default package and then select a different package if needed at the point when you're ready to print a shipping label for that order.

Here's the issue we've had. For most of our products, having that default package be a lightweight envelope or box is fine, because weight is the only important factor. However, if we're simultaneously selling small and large products and the default package is a small, lightweight mailer, we run into problems. If we're selling rugs, for instance, either we set a large rug tube as the default package, thereby forcing our customers who are only buying smaller items to overpay for shipping at checkout, or we keep a smaller mailer/box as the default and our shop ends up having to pay the (sometimes considerable) difference in shipping because carriers charge by dimensional weight and our customers only paid for shipping based on weight alone. So only being able to choose the appropriate package at the point of fulfillment is the issue.

Here's my question: Is there a way to link specific products to specific packages, in the same way that you can create custom shipping rates? If not, can Shopify please consider building this feature? That way, you could say, *If someone buys these items, they ship in our default package, but if they buy those items, they ship in this larger package.* Or, as is the case with product Collections, one could perhaps create certain rules that allowed you to tailor those criteria further and say, *This product will ship in this package unless it's accompanied by other items, in which case the order has to be split into two packages.* We would love to avoid the problems that the default shipping package has sometimes created for both us and some of our customers, and continue to use carrier-calculated shipping rates rather than use one flat rate to remedy this issue. We appreciate any help anyone can offer here. Thank you.

Replies 3 (3)

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi @wookersonadmin,

There has been a lot of queries regarding the dimension based packaging and calculation of rates. I know you guys are looking for a solution from the side of Shopify. But, as there hasn't been a solution, you can look into the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app as a workaround, that would help you automate the packaging process based on the product weight & dimensions. You can add custom boxes based on the product and the app automatically chooses the right box based on the customer input. Not just that, you can also add a pre-pack to each of your products if required so that, it goes in a separate package. Also, the app helps you handle the shipping process as well.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping

atroya
Tourist
35 0 1

Hey @wookersonadmin 

There have been a lot of queries regarding the dimension based packaging and calculation of rates. I know you guys are looking for a solution from the side of Shopify. But, as there hasn't been a solution, you can look into Fenix Commerce as a solution. You can help prioritise customer delivery based on real time carrier data, customer location, and your product availability. 

rairai
Visitor
2 0 5

up! the first post talking about this was from 2020.. 3 years after I think we're still affected by the same issue!