FROM CACHE - en_header

Product Weight

GreenwoodSales
4 0 0

Can anyone tell me how to find the weight of a product? I know how to edit the weight and add it, but is there a way to find the weight of a product without ordering it and weighing it myself? Anything helps!

Replies 3 (3)
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1161 77 190

Hey, @GreenwoodSales!

Can I ask where you are sourcing your products from? Do you have a supplier/manufacturer you are working with, or would you be using something like Oberlo to import products from AliExpress? For products from AliExpress, the weight is sometimes listed in the product description, which you can see through Oberlo. This depends on the supplier though, as sometimes only the height and weight are listed. But if you were working with an independent manufacturer, the best thing to do is reach out to them directly via email (or whatever contact info they have listed) and ask them for the product weights. I'm sure they can give you the details you need!

Are you trying to set up shipping rates at the moment? I'd love to hear more about your business!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

GreenwoodSales
4 0 0

I am using Oberlo to import products from Ali Express. So if I'm shipping products from Ali Express to my customers I still need to set up the weight and everything to get the right price for my shipping rates? If so will my shipping rates automatically adjust once I add all the proper weight and things like that to the product? If not how do I get the proper rates? Is the weight that I put supposed to include the weight of the box it its going to be shipped in? If so how do I know the proper box size to put and its weight? Sorry for asking so much, just trying to make sure I know everything there is to know.

Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1161 77 190

Apologies for the delayed response here! I'll go through how to handle shipping rates within Shopify. Also - ask as many questions as you like, that is why our support team is here!

There are many ways to set up shipping rates, so you shouldn't need to add in the weight of each product if it is not included in the details when you import from Oberlo. You can add a price based rate too, or simply offer a flat rate of shipping all together! I would suggest watching this video from our YouTube Help Centre, linked below. This video outlines how to get the average cost of your products shipping rates so you can charge a flat rate for a whole country:

This is one of the easiest ways to configure your shipping - you can offer one or two simple rates at checkout and not have to add conditions like weight or price to the shipping rate. The video outlines how to check the shipping rates in your Oberlo Import list. If you click on Pricing, you will see the shipping details here:

09-19-67613-46239

You can then check the rates depending on the country here: 

09-21-59554-65308

Another option you have is to add the cost of the shipping into the product itself, and then offer free shipping at checkout! High or unexpected shipping rates at checkout is a huge contributor to abandoned carts, so it's good to keep shipping as low as possible. 

The weight of the box the product is shipping in is covered in the cost of the shipping from AliExpress! You will not be handling the packages yourself, as your AliExpress supplier will be shipping for you. So you would not have control over the box that is used - the supplier will add the cost of the package weight to the shipping rates you see in Oberlo. 

Can I ask what kind of products you are selling? Would a flat shipping rate work for you and your business? I'd love to know more about your plans so I can make some suggestions!

Speak soon!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog