This is a feature request as I know what I'm asking isn't possible. I have general shipping rates for my entire store. Also Have a profile set up for media mail items with media mail rates. I was expecting that my planners would show up in the general profile, as well as the media mail profile. However, I realized the general profile is "All items not in other profiles" so that means the planners are removed from the general profile.
In order to offer media mail rates, I would have to duplicate all my shipping rates from my general profile into a media mail profile. I don't like this because I have around 50 rates based on weight parameters and also not having a single-source of truth for shipping rates makes errors easier. I edit one rate and forget to edit the same rate in the other profile. Duplication of data is never a desired way of doing things.
I'd like a simple toggle option in the General Shipping Profile that lets me choose between All products, and All products not in other profiles. That way when someone buys a blanket, they don't get media mail rates and when someone buys a planner, they get media mail plus general rates.
And no, I don't want to pay monthly for an app. I'm getting nickel and dime'd with so many apps because shopify lacks a lot of functionality.
In general shipping profiles need work. Here are a few other ways they can improve.
- Ability to copy rates from one zone to another (singularly or in bulk).
- Ability to have a country or state located in multiple zones within a profile. Use case: I wanted to offer Standard rates which are the same for US and Canada, but then offer a couple of unique rates for the US only. I can't do that so I have more duplication of data, which is more error prone and means I have to edit the same rate in multiple places.
- Ability to sort rates within a zone by name and price. I hate it when my rates get out of order, it's hard to see if I've covered all my bases.
- When I create a custom flat rate, make it available to choose before I click Save. I might want to enter all my rates before I save and make them available in checkout (you know, in case people are shopping). As of now, if I enter multiple rates before saving, it asks me continually if I want to add the custom rate, but I can't select it, so I have to type it in every time.
- I would probably rather see my rates live OUTSIDE of zones. This would be a big change, but it means I could create a rate, and then select the zones (zones that I create separately) that it applies to, rather than creating a zone and entering rates into it. I'm not sure why they need to be so coupled together and why zones has to be a parent of rates. The paradigm could easily be: create your rates, create your zones, link them together. That would allow me to duplicate rates across zones very easily by simply linking multiple zones to a single rate. It would also allow me to have the same zone linked to multiple rates.
- If two rates conflict, I should be able to choose which one to display based on rules. Let's say I offer free media mail shipping on book orders over $79. Lets say I also offer free standard shipping on orders over $79 in case the order includes non-book items. If I add books to my cart, I will see both rates as free. Why can't I make a rule to only show the free media mail rate when the cart items are eligible for media mail shipping?