Solved

Public Shopify receipt page via Klarna Payments no conversion script

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

When purchasing with Klarna Payments the user comes back to the "Public" receipt page in Shopify.
Is this normal practice? Shouldn't they be able to see their details?
The biggest problem with this is that the conversion scripts aren't run.

Does anyone know if there is some other way to capture the conversion for these payments?

Accepted Solution (1)
KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

This is an accepted solution.

Hi again @coalescecreate ,

We'll test this further, but perhaps you may want to request dedicated Shopify support (https://help.shopify.com/ while logged into your Shopify admin) as I believe this is controlled by Shopify code, not the alternative payment integration.  Perhaps Klarna via Shopify Payments may not have this problem also.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

Hi @coalescecreate ,

It is recommended integration for a Shopify payment method integration to use the Shopify confirmation page/receipt page.   

Depending on country of the store, Klarna Payments can be activated either as a local payment method (within Shopify Payments) OR an alternative payment method.  

For the alterative payment method, a Klarna Payments order is placed in the Shopify store by Shopify code in Payment status of Paid, per "Shopify Order Payment Status" section at https://x.klarnacdn.net/plugins/Klarna%20Payments%20on%20Shopify%20-%20Merchant%20Guide.pdf

Can you share more details what action is expected to trigger the conversion scripts?

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

Interesting. Our store is set up in Sweden. We have Klarna Payments currently set up as an alternative payment method and not via Shopify Payments.
We have Shopify Payments as our main payment provider so it would be perhaps better to go via that if that then shows us the "correct logged in" receipt page.

Currently when the user completes their checkout using Klarna Payments as an alternative payment method they complete their checkout (click on a Klarna Payment Method -> Come to the Hosted Payment Page (HPP) -> Finish their payment and are directed to the "logged out" version of the receipt page.) They then never see the real receipt page which means we can not gather conversion data.

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

This is an accepted solution.

Hi again @coalescecreate ,

We'll test this further, but perhaps you may want to request dedicated Shopify support (https://help.shopify.com/ while logged into your Shopify admin) as I believe this is controlled by Shopify code, not the alternative payment integration.  Perhaps Klarna via Shopify Payments may not have this problem also.

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

A similar issue was debugged for a store using a custom domain with Klarna's alternative payment method, and we were able to code an option to accommodate this (per PI-2368).   If that might be applicable, please contact http://klarna.com/merchant-support for more info.

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

If this affects others then the easiest solution which took me a while to come to is just to revert back to the xxxx.myshopify.com page.
Another related bug to this is when a user goes back from the third payment plugin all information is lost which is also solved when going back to the default myshopify domain.

Yvans
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @coalescecreate@KristiAtKlarna 

Have you fund a solution to this problem? I'm running into this as well and my Google Ads data is very inaccurate. 

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

A few things you should consider.

My initial problem was that Klarna didn't support custom domains. When the customer made their purchase the receipt trigger and conversion scripts never ran. I don't know if they've fixed this yet. I was using Klarna as a specific payment plugin but we moved to using Shopify Payments for this and multiple other reasons.

Some of these problems are:

1. Using Klarna Payments as a third party plugin the payment option is shown to all users even if they are ineligible to use it. In some cases the users were required to re-enter their details again.
  2. Klarna Payments as a third party plugin didn't support custom domains (as outlined above). I assume this should be fixed now.
  3. The percentage that is taken on payments (no matter the special deal directly from Klarna) is less when using Shopify Payments as the percentage is aggregated.
  4. If you use Shopify Payments with Klarna then make sure that you also set up Email and not Email or Telephone. This also prevents Klarna from working properly.

Another issue I had with conversions is that both the site the customer lands on and the site the customer checks out on need to be the same root domain. If you are using Shopify as a headless solution (not as a theme) then the main site is say on test.dev and the checkout should then be on x.test.dev so that the cookies are accessible even on receipt. Themes don't need to worry about this as everything is always on the same domain.
Bonus tip is to use Shopify's inbuilt analytics. However one still needs to register other conversions tags on the Receipt. I use Tag Manager on the receipt page for conversion of Ads etc.

Hope this helps but there are 100+ different reasons that conversions may not be working. The only sure-fire way to ensure that they work are by doing extensive test purchases.

Good Luck!