many customers are approaching us with the following issue:
In our shop, they do select Paypal as a payment method. They are then redirected to Paypal and go through the checkout process.
Once done, Paypal redirects them to the shop yet the purchase isn't completed. They neither receieve an error nor a confirmation message.
It doesn't happen to all customers but to some. If you do it 4-5 times in a row, it will work at one point but no one is doing that obviously.
Our shop: www.spiritualbabe.shop
You can find attached a consumer complaint.
Many thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Hyde here from Shopify. Great question!
There's a lot to dig into here. The fact that this doesn't happen to all customers raises some questions:
1. Can you replicate the issue yourself?
2. How many customers are being affected?
3. Are there any common threads between those customers in terms of location/country, the product being purchased, the browser being used?
What I'm looking at is whether this is a payment gateway issue or is specific to the customers themselves. The fact that this doesn't happen to everyone looking to purchase from your store suggests it is a localized issue.
Could you also double-check that your Paypal is set up correctly as per our help guide?
If you could get back to me with that information, that would give me a clearer picture in order to help you.
All the best, Hyde.
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
1. Yes, I can replicate the issue myself. I also joined some customers via screen share / Facetime who were facing the issue.
2. The amount of customers is hard to judge since not all are approaching us. Yet, I'd say something between 25 - 40%.
3. I know for sure that they are all located in Germany. This issue is spread out across a plethora of products and has been reported on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome
That is very strange indeed! Can I ask whether you've reached out to Paypal about this as well? I don't want to ping pong you between different support lines, but as this involves a third-party payment gateway, and as we haven't had platform-wide reports about similar issues, it may be helpful for you to consult with them first. It could be as simple as an account setting affecting how your Paypal functions.
The other question to ask is: have you added a third-party app to your store recently that is affecting the proper functioning of the order process? I think this latter option is unlikely, but it does sometimes happen so it might be worth looking into. Could you have a chat with Paypal and let me know how you get on, please? -Hyde
Connect your PayPal account to allow your customers to checkout using the PayPal gateway a...By Ollie Jul 28, 2022