"Receiving country does not support the transaction currency."

ROOPCHAND
Visitor
1 0 0

The above-mentioned error pops up whenever I try PayPal purchase in my Shopify store. The store is for use in Bahrain and the currency is BHD. There is no listing of this currency in paypal. I have tried changing the primary currency from USD to other currencies. Still, it is not working. Please help.

Replies 3 (3)

Mac
Shopify Staff
1654 167 262

Hi, @ROOPCHAND.

Thank you for reaching out with your question! I’m happy to help.

This error means that the currency you are currently selling is not supported by PayPal at the moment. You can check out this resource on the Countries and currencies supported by PayPal to view which currencies you are able to use with the PayPal gateway on Shopify. 

I took a look at the list and saw that Bahraini dinar is not currently supported. Rest assured, we can check out a few alternative solutions:

• Firstly, you can switch your store currency to one that Paypal does support. This can be done by navigating to your admin and selecting Settings > General, then scrolling down to the currency section to switch. If this section is locked, feel free to contact our support team and they will be able to help with this. 

• Secondly, you can use a currency converter app so that your customers can still see prices in your regional currency, while the checkout will be in another currency that you select from the list of supported currencies. 

• Lastly, you could look at using another payment gateway all together. This can be done directly in your payment settings and will offer your customers another checkout option. Check out our Online Payment Gateways for more information. 

I’m happy to provide some tips and guidance and I'd love to know more about your business! What type of products are you selling? Are you planning on selling only domestically, or internationally?

Feel free to let me know if you have more questions! 

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

oljaklik
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, regarding to this same topic, I was wondering is there any way to add another currency without losing the primary one? I have shop in based in Serbia, and it means a lot for my customers to be able to pay in Serbian dinars, but that is not supported by Paypal. So I wanted to add another currency so people can choose between them. 

Thank you in advance 

Mac
Shopify Staff
1654 167 262

Hi, @oljaklik!

Thank you for joining the thread and for sharing your concern. 

It sounds like you are looking to accept payments in multiple currencies. You can start off by adding a payment provider to your store that accepts Serbian Dinars. Check out our list here and see which one works best for your business. Then, you will add PayPal as an additional payment method so that your customers can use this option to pay in other currencies. 

Depending on your theme, the feature of allowing customers to toggle between available currencies may be built in. Kindly let me know what the name of your theme is and I can confirm this for you. If not, you can use an app like Currency Converter & Switcher so that International shoppers easily get prices of products in their local currency. You can also browse through more apps here

Kindly reply back to this thread with any questions or updates and we can continue our conversation further!

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog