Rearrange order of shipping options at checkout?

Solved
Auswah1
1 0 0

Hi. Is is possible to rearrange the order of shipping options at the checkout? Default is "Local Pickup" and many customers skip through to the checkout and their order requires "Domestic Shipping" as they don't live in my local area. How can I set "Domestic Shipping" as the default option?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Victor
Shopify Staff
1148 104 260

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Auswah1,

It is currently not possible to re-arrange the order of the available shipping options at checkout, which will always default to showing the cheapest shipping option first and then the other rates in ascending order of price. This is why you'll be seeing your local pickup option appearing first.

Can you tell me which country you are based, and to whom you are offering local pickup as an option to? If you're in the US, you can offer the local pickup option only to customers in the state you are in through your shipping zones—meaning that only customers in that state will see the option for local pickup, and all other customers will only see delivery options. There are also some third-party apps that allow you to set shipping rates to specific ZIP codes or cities, such as Shipping Rates by ZipCode and Advanced Shipping Rules, which will allow you to reduce the area in which customers can choose pickup as an option. This won't solve the problem entirely as customers who live close to the pickup location can still choose pickup even when they want delivery, but it will at least help you prevent customers much further away from choosing this option by mistake.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have further questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)
Victor
Shopify Staff
1148 104 260

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Auswah1,

It is currently not possible to re-arrange the order of the available shipping options at checkout, which will always default to showing the cheapest shipping option first and then the other rates in ascending order of price. This is why you'll be seeing your local pickup option appearing first.

Can you tell me which country you are based, and to whom you are offering local pickup as an option to? If you're in the US, you can offer the local pickup option only to customers in the state you are in through your shipping zones—meaning that only customers in that state will see the option for local pickup, and all other customers will only see delivery options. There are also some third-party apps that allow you to set shipping rates to specific ZIP codes or cities, such as Shipping Rates by ZipCode and Advanced Shipping Rules, which will allow you to reduce the area in which customers can choose pickup as an option. This won't solve the problem entirely as customers who live close to the pickup location can still choose pickup even when they want delivery, but it will at least help you prevent customers much further away from choosing this option by mistake.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have further questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Ruth10
Tourist
7 0 2

In looking back, I see this has been an issue since at least 2013.  We have the same problem - We offer "Pick up shop" only for our state, since it's the default (free)  people just go by it, whether or not they are planning to pick up.  Why can't we decide the order or the default for each shipping option - that would fix this.  OR have not default and make the customer choose a shipping option.