Remove the Express Checkout buttons from first Checkout Page without going through the cart page

PeterVanAckooij
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi,

I've recently enabled Paypal as a payment option in my shop. It works fine, but now I have this Paypal button on the first page of my checkout. This button seems to be a conversion killer, since visitors don't see my other payment options and think they can only pay with Paypal. We're based in The Netherlands and Paypal is not very popular here. 

I reached out to support and the agent very patiently helped me with this issue. The solution she proposed was adding the express checkout buttons to the cart page and then hiding it with CSS, as described in this thread. The 'solution' (a.k.a. workaround) works as long as my visitors go through the cart page.. but they don't! 

My theme is setup to show a popup as a cart and then go immediately to the checkout. Visitors skip the cart page, so this solution does not work.

I'm wondering if there is another way to disable the express checkout buttons in the checkout. If not, please treat this thread as a feature request for a 'Disable express checkout buttons' checkbox in the checkout settings. 

Thanks 🙂

Replies 3 (3)

darlarecs
Visitor
2 0 1

I don't have an answer, but do have the same issue, so hoping there's a way to make this change! (Especially for someone not programmer-savy). Thanks!

pavlor
Shopify Partner
9 0 3

Try this  
https://community.shopify.com/c/blog/remove-the-express-checkout-buttons-from-first-checkout-page/ba...

Make sure you read this "This method will only work if customers are checking out from the cart page directly (having the cart drawer or cart modal enabled, or checking out via external links will not guarantee this method to work)."

If you want to link to checkout from any other place on your site, you can check how your cart page template links to checkout and mimic it on any page. Worked for me when doing it with minicart drawer.

gredondo
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

The page recomended by Pavlor does not exists anymore. I believe shopify is blocking the possibility of doing this on a non plus shop. None of the older solutions and workaround work anymore.