Reserved inventory

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 52
Hi there

We are looking for a way to hold inventory for draft orders. It sounds like items can be reserved however this is not reflected in the actual inventory count for a certain item.

Are there any other ‘hacks’ around this Shopify limitation? Or is anyone from Shopify able to provide insights how this function was intended to be used?

Draft orders are pointless for accurate inventory management if inventory is not decimated for draft orders on hold/reserved items.

Thanks,
Evert
Replies 8 (8)
jbodor
Tourist
7 0 9

I agree, I have clients that run an omin-channel shopify account (eCommerce + POS) they have good customers that will call in to ask for an item to be put on hold, and with draft orders not being able to reserve inventory that can result in over-selling an item.

Jon_Nusz
Tourist
5 0 6

PLEASE HELP!!!

Shopify told me before I moved over and spend a ton of time and money that I could 'reserve' inventory!

However, now I'm too far in and i'm seeing all my 'reserved' inventory is not actually being represented in inventory count creating COMPLETE CHAOS!

Their response is almost non existent , they're catch all 'we'll put it on the development list ' but i don't have a year to wait or longer for a solution. We have HUGE orders from email, phone, whatsapp that is created in the backend by one of our representatives and our inventory seems to be getting worse and worse. 

Yes I'm looking for an app or even a god for saking report I can reference. I've been told it's a 'magic' number; 'trust' shopify is deducting it so no one can purcahse at an online level, yet my POS and Drafts are crazy wrong (inventory wise).

I know this thread's about a year old ... but nothing?

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4214 303 902

To sync multiple channels and or systems inventory for these types of workflows you will need an app, a shopify tool like usemechanic.com , or service that enables this automation integromat, zapier,etc

@Jon_Nusz wrote:

Shopify told me before I moved over and spend a ton of time and money that I could 'reserve' inventory!

You may want to elaborate , is the reserve action not being used when draft orders are created?

17-52-27hsb-5hzba

@Jon_Nusz wrote:

I've been told it's a 'magic' number; 'trust' shopify is deducting it so no one can purcahse at an online level,

Why trust when you can verify. Set some inventory to a test product and make the relevant test orders on the online store.

Docs clarification about inventory levelhttps://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/create-orders#:~:text=doesn't%20adjust%20their%20actual%20...

Longer ongoing discussion https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Inventory-management-on-manual-orders/td-p/382290 

For developers reserve inventory is immutable https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Draft-Order-quot-Reserve-Items-quot/td-p/602067 

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
Jon_Nusz
Tourist
5 0 6

Thanks! Yes I've read around the different links provided and checked we have a few orders that i've looked into and 'RESERVING' draft does not affect inventory count or movement.

The main issue is I cannot use a third party app called WHOLESALE CLUB once I take the order out of draft (into invoice). 

I need that there so when I adjust (add, remove, exchange) products in the draft I can hit 'more options' and use this app to calculate the order against the customers wholesale level (tag) and provide the proper wholesale price to the draft. Some of these orders could be in excess of 50 -75 k so it's an extremely important - we need committed inventory calculated or viewable. 

I've seen some of these questions date back 3 years on the shopify community and NO update. It seems shopify doesn't care or are unwilling for some reason to provide a solution.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4214 303 902

@Jon_Nusz wrote:

The main issue is I cannot use a third party app called WHOLESALE CLUB once I take the order out of draft (into invoice). 

I need that there so when I adjust (add, remove, exchange) products in the draft I can hit 'more options' and use this app to calculate the order against the customers wholesale level (tag) and provide the proper wholesale price to the draft. Some of these orders could be in excess of 50 -75 k so it's an extremely important - we need committed inventory calculated or viewable. 

That is an issue to take up with the third party, or create a custom solution that manipulates drafts,invoices, and inventory according to the business need.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
soulchild37
Shopify Partner
98 6 23

Hi @greiseve , 

I have recently added a feature to Draft Order Helper app (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper ) that allows you to deduct inventories for products used in a draft order in one click :
Deduct inventories of draft orderDeduct inventories of draft order

After installing the app, you can go to your draft order, select "More actions" > "Adjust inventory" , then deduct the inventories of the products used in the draft order, this will make the inventory count reflect the actual numbers.

The app has a free plan (5 free inventories deduction) which you can give it a try, https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper, hope this can help you!

Regards,

Axel Kee

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
Jon_Nusz
Tourist
5 0 6

Are you joking?!?! Finally someone figuring out a viable solution> I'm out of town but when I come back would you be ok with me reaching out to see how to leverage this solution best? Thanks!!!

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
98 6 23

Hi @Jon_Nusz ,

Sure! Would be happy to help, you can email me at axel@draftorder.app regarding using the app to deduct inventories.

There's a caveat on this feature (I forgot to mention earlier), you have to make sure there's enough inventory count after deducting the inventory using this app (eg: say the draft order place 5 quantity for an item, you need to ensure there is at least 5 quantity after deducting inventory), this is because Shopify will deduct the inventory again when customer finish paying for the order.

Here's the inventory flow : 

1. You use Draft Helper app to deduct inventory (eg: inventory goes from 10 to 5)
2. Customer checks out and make payment, Shopify deduct the inventory again  (inventory goes from 5 to 0)
3. Shortly after the order is paid, Draft Helper app automatically replenish the inventory deducted by Shopify to prevent double deduction. (inventory goes from 0 to 5).

Sorry about the inventory flow, as Shopify will always deduct inventory when customer finish checkout. The best workaround the app can do is to replenish the inventory.

You can also restore the deducted inventory for the draft order, right before sending the customer to checkout, in case you don't have enough inventory at that time.

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog