Solved

Return and Refund - Are they separate processes, or how to they work?

ShaneTCC
Tourist
6 0 4

I'm trying to find out exactly how and where Returns and Refunds overlap, and the Shopify documentation isn't completely answering some of my questions.

Mainly, I want to know: Does a RETURN also process a REFUND to the customer, or would I need to REFUND the customer after doing a RETURN? I can't find any documentation that covers this.

Secondly, I want to know: If I don't need a Return Label, can I perform a REFUND, and then choose to "Restock" the item? Will that be equivalent to the RETURN, but also add the REFUND options?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

SocialAutoPost
Shopify Partner
426 58 104

This is an accepted solution.

A return and a refund are two separate actions that can be performed on an order in Shopify.

A return is when a customer sends back a product that they purchased from your store, and a refund is when you issue the customer their money back for the returned product. In most cases, a return will need to be processed before a refund can be issued, but this will depend on your store's specific return and refund policies.

To process a return in Shopify, you will need to create a return label for the customer to use to send the product back to you. Once the product has been returned, you can issue a refund for the order in your Shopify admin. The refund will automatically be issued to the customer's original payment method.

If you don't need a return label, you can still issue a refund to the customer without processing a return. However, this will depend on your store's return and refund policies, as well as the reason for the refund. If the product is being returned because it is defective or not as described, it is usually best to process a return so that you can inspect the product and take any necessary actions, such as issuing a replacement or providing a refund.

In terms of restocking an item, this is typically done after a return has been processed and the product has been received back at your fulfillment center or warehouse. Restocking an item simply means that it is being added back to your inventory, and does not automatically issue a refund to the customer. If you want to issue a refund in addition to restocking the item, you will need to do so separately in your Shopify admin. Overall, it is important to carefully review and understand your store's return and refund policies to ensure that you are handling these actions correctly.

Was the reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
Auto post your Shopify products to Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter.
App: Social Schedular

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

SocialAutoPost
Shopify Partner
426 58 104

This is an accepted solution.

A return and a refund are two separate actions that can be performed on an order in Shopify.

A return is when a customer sends back a product that they purchased from your store, and a refund is when you issue the customer their money back for the returned product. In most cases, a return will need to be processed before a refund can be issued, but this will depend on your store's specific return and refund policies.

To process a return in Shopify, you will need to create a return label for the customer to use to send the product back to you. Once the product has been returned, you can issue a refund for the order in your Shopify admin. The refund will automatically be issued to the customer's original payment method.

If you don't need a return label, you can still issue a refund to the customer without processing a return. However, this will depend on your store's return and refund policies, as well as the reason for the refund. If the product is being returned because it is defective or not as described, it is usually best to process a return so that you can inspect the product and take any necessary actions, such as issuing a replacement or providing a refund.

In terms of restocking an item, this is typically done after a return has been processed and the product has been received back at your fulfillment center or warehouse. Restocking an item simply means that it is being added back to your inventory, and does not automatically issue a refund to the customer. If you want to issue a refund in addition to restocking the item, you will need to do so separately in your Shopify admin. Overall, it is important to carefully review and understand your store's return and refund policies to ensure that you are handling these actions correctly.

Auto post your Shopify products to Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter.
ShaneTCC
Tourist
6 0 4

That's very helpful, seems clear to me now.

Thank you!

SocialAutoPost
Shopify Partner
426 58 104

Glad to help @ShaneTCC 🙂