Setting up Stripe Account Properly

benjaffer
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the community as I just started using Shopify. 

I’m planning to use Shopify for my online store in the UAE where Shopify Payments are not available yet. As Stripe has just been rolled out here, I went for it. 

I created a Stripe account and connected it Shopify but I’m not sure if my Stripe setup is complete and proper (on Stripe website).

I searched the help centre and community here for hours but couldn’t find a complete setup guide to setup a Stripe account.

I’ll very much appreciate it if anyone can help and share a complete walkthrough tutorial on that.

Thanks in advance. 

Replies 3 (3)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @benjaffer

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Thanks for letting us know what you've tried so far. Have you successfully connected your Stripe account to your Shopify admin as your payment gateway? Please let me know if you are receiving any errors. The full instructions on how to connect a third party payment gateway are listed here in our Help Center. Let me know if you having trouble, and I'd be happy to help. 

If your Stripe account is connected in the Settings > Payments section of your Shopify admin, but you are not confident that everything has been setup from within your Stripe account itself, the best step is to contact Stripe directly. Since Stripe is a third party payment provider, we don't have access to their systems and they will be the best team equipped to help you determine if your account is setup correctly. I did find Stripe's help document about getting started with Stripe.

I'll also pass on our general new store checklist as it sounds like you're just getting started and it's great to follow along. Let me know if you have any further questions! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

benjaffer
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks for your reply Hilary.

I've gone through a boatload of help and support articles from Stripe and others online but there are few things that confuse me.

For example, in my Stripe account, there's a tab called Products. Do I need to add in my products in there or will it pull these products from my Shopify store once it's live?

There's another tab in Stripe's website menu named Connect. Is this something I nedd to setup?

Does Shopify send invoices to customers upon successful orders or do I have to use the Stripe Invoicing app?

I'm sorry if this sounds lame to you but I'm just trying to get things right.

Thanks

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Apologies for the delayed reply here! I appreciate the time and effort you've spent trying to understand this process further. 

Anything from within your Stripe portal, I will not be able to provide support on, as this is outside our scope of support. To the best of my knowledge, you should not need to import any products into your Stripe account, as your products and orders will be managed through your Shopify store. However, the Stripe Support team will be best suited to answer any questions regarding their setup requirements and I'd recommend reaching out to them to clarify. 

That being said, I can clarify a couple points regarding orders and the ordering process for your customers from the Shopify side. In general, when you receive an online order, here is what happens:

1. You receive a new order notification by email.
  2. The Orders page of Shopify shows the new order.
  3. The customer receives an order confirmation email. 
  4. Order processing begins.

As listed in step 3, when an order is placed by a customer they will receive an order confirmation email, not an "invoice" per say. You can preview this notification from within your Shopify admin. Here are the steps to see a preview: 

1. Login to your Shopify admin.
  2. Head to Settings > Notifications
  3. Click on title of the notification you'd like to view, in this case, Order Confirmation. 
  4. Next, click Preview in the top right hand corner of the page.

Please see our help documentation on editing notification templates if you are interested in doing so. 

There are no bad questions, so please feel free to ask away! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.