Shipping labels issue for products with different weights in more than one box

Solved
Roldham93
Tourist
4 0 1

So we have a weird issue on the shipping side I was hoping to get some advice/solutions for.

We sell a product that has variants of different weights:

1. 23lb
  2. 46lb
  3. 92lb
  4. 138lb
  5. 184lb

Each of our shipping boxes fits up to 46lb of product in it. If anybody buys more than 46lb, we have to ship them more than one box. As orders come in, we are getting quotes from UPS for the entire weight of the products ordered, but there is no option to select that this product will be shipping in more than one box and to split the cost/print two shipping labels.

Because of this, we have to create a draft order for each order over 46lb so we can print a second shipping label for the second box.

Is there any app, or solution within shopify that will solve this for us, as it is completely messing with our analytics and metrics and causing real headaches with the finance team, email marketing etc. Pirate Ship is not an option as the cost for UPS is much more expensive that what we're currently paying doing it the way we are.

Thank you in advance for anybody that has answers to this one.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Roldham93.

Thanks for bringing your question to our Community forum. I can definitely understand why it is important for you to be able to purchase more than one shipping label per order and split the products into separate boxes. I'm happy to help.

I recommend setting the quantity of the items you want to fulfill first to a number greater than 0 and the ones you'll fulfill next to 0. This will adjust the shipping label to include only the items with a quantity above 0. You can complete the purchase of the label and the order will now display as "Partially Fulfilled." You can repeat this process until all of your items are fulfilled with shipping labels purchased when you go in to create your shipping label. For example: 

Luna_0-1633385638902.jpeg

May I ask how you currently have your shipping rates set up? For example, are you displaying live rates from UPS to your customer? Or, have you set up flat fee rates? Please let me know if this method will work better for you. Otherwise, I am be more than happy to share some app suggestions! 

Talk soon, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Roldham93.

Thanks for bringing your question to our Community forum. I can definitely understand why it is important for you to be able to purchase more than one shipping label per order and split the products into separate boxes. I'm happy to help.

I recommend setting the quantity of the items you want to fulfill first to a number greater than 0 and the ones you'll fulfill next to 0. This will adjust the shipping label to include only the items with a quantity above 0. You can complete the purchase of the label and the order will now display as "Partially Fulfilled." You can repeat this process until all of your items are fulfilled with shipping labels purchased when you go in to create your shipping label. For example: 

Luna_0-1633385638902.jpeg

May I ask how you currently have your shipping rates set up? For example, are you displaying live rates from UPS to your customer? Or, have you set up flat fee rates? Please let me know if this method will work better for you. Otherwise, I am be more than happy to share some app suggestions! 

Talk soon, 

Anindita
Shopify Partner
419 24 63

Hey,

You can use Shopify Multi Carrier Shipping Label App which comes with a Weight Based Packing method that allows you to set maximum box weight. So, if each of your shipping boxes fits up to 46lb of product in it, then you can set that as your maximum weight. Now if anybody buys more than 46lb, this app automatically adds another box and calculates the price accordingly. It even prints shipping labels according to the number of boxes, eliminating the need for manual labor.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
Roldham93
Tourist
4 0 1
Hu Luna, thank you for your reply. Currently we are offering free shipping
on all orders, so it is a flat rate. Customers do not see the live UPS
rates.

I believe this might work for us, but I would also love to see some app
suggestions so we can explore our options as we look to cut over to a new
system of processes.

Thanks!
Roldham93
Tourist
4 0 1

Hey Anindita, we installed this app a while back after being promised this would be a solution to our issues, but it never actually worked. Even got as far as the head developer of the app who confirmed we can't do what we want it to do. Not sure if this is our issue, or their issue, or both, but now we have to look for a different solution.

Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

Hey, @Roldham93.

Thanks for getting back to me with that additional context. I appreciate it! I'm happy to provide some alternative app solutions for you to check out. It's important to note that these apps would require you to enable the third-party calculated featureThird-party calculated shipping is included in the Advanced plan, available as a $20/month add-on to other plans or as a free option on an annual subscription. This gives applications access to your admin's shipping features so you can set up product-based rules. Some suggestions to follow: 

• BeSpoke Shipping: This app uses a proprietary 4D boxing algorithm that is super fast and can estimate final package sizes and weights. 
  • Better Shipping: With this app, you can use shipping rules to combine shipping by-product, variant, location, and more.

One important note, since you are offering your customers free shipping the app solution is most likely not necessary. These would be more beneficial for you if you were creating specific customer-facing shipping rates. To make sure you have the opportunity to consider each option, I provided you with this selection. However, I would suggest the original strategy first. For more information, check out our help document: Purchase bulk shipping labels

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best, 

Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

Hey, @Roldham93.

Just checking in with you to ensure you get all the help you need. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach back out.

Best,

Ruth10
Tourist
7 0 4

Although I really think Shopify should include the ability to split an order (it's part of most shipping apps), we liked shopify shipping until we ran into this issue.

So - I tried this.  I edited the order that will cannot fit into one box and 'removed' the item.  I can create a shipping label for the items left on the order - that works.  Then I go back into the order and try to un-remove the item but I can't see how I can do that?  Am I missing something?  I've had to 'add' the product that I removed.  Is this the only way to do this?

Thanks, Ruth