Shipping

Solved
woodwork
Tourist
6 0 0

I'm having a problem with shipping rates. I've read and watched videos but am still not sure what I'm doing wrong. I sold a cutting board and the shipping was calculated at $11.00 but when I went to print the shipping label it cost me $44.70. So I had to change from USPS to UPS as it was $22.00. The problem is why wasn't it calculated better? For some reason, no matter what the size of my product  USPS rate is always around $14.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
84 5 12

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @woodwork,

The package settings can be found in Shipping and delivery > Packages, as mentioned earlier by Anindita. 

I understand your situation. We have had similar situations with merchants using our app, where custom-built products vary in size and weight each time they are made. Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution for this, and you really can only manage if you are over-charging or under-charging for shipping, whichever is the more bearable of the two. You could put in your average package dims and product weights, or the max, or the min. In any of these cases, shipping will only be accurate some of the time.

Alternatively, if you establish set sizes for your products, you can enter each one as a unique SKU, which has its own weight. You can also set up variations in Shopify, so you could have Small cutting board, Medium cutting board, Large cutting, etc., -- or however you want to establish the 'fixed' sizes. Understandably, this alternative may limit a customer's ability to order a custom size, unless you set up a SKU for each possible size and weight.

Neither of these options eliminates the issue with Shopify's single default package rule, and you'd still have to choose a package that is most common -- or poses the least risk of incorrect shipping charges.

If you're open to using a third party solution, there are a few things you can do with Intuitive Shipping that might help. As with the recommendations above, we don't have the perfect solution for your specific case, but we can give you a bit more control than you have currently.

With Intuitive Shipping, you can add as many packages as you need, and our system will use the best fit for calculating rates. That will make dimensional shipping much more accurate than it is on Shopify alone.

Alternatively, you can create a 'call for quote' shipping method where your customer's are able to purchase a custom product with unique dimensions, and complete their checkout, but they must call your store to get a final shipping quote before you ship the product. This is probably more common than you think. And, if you have 'standard' products that you sell as well, you can still set up a 'standard' shipping method for customers who only only standard products (no custom items).

If you'd like to learn more about this, feel free to book a demo with one of our team members  who would be happy to walk you through the call-for-quote process and answer any of your questions about live rates and package sizes.

Please note that to use Intuitive Shipping - or any third-party rate calculation app - Shopify requires that you enable their third-party carrier-calculated shipping rates feature. This feature is $20 USD per month. If you change your Shopify billing to annual, they will add the feature at no additional cost (plus they will reduce your billing plan by 10%). If you're on the Advanced plan or higher, this feature is already included and activated by default.

Best regards,
Ron

Customer Experience Manager @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)
Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
84 5 12

Hi @woodwork,

It could be the package size. Shopify allows you to add multiple package sizes, but live rates can only be calculated with one default package size. This is a limitation with Shopify shipping and delivery settings. Since carriers use dimensional weight (which factors in both weight and size) to calculate shipping, it's possible there is a discrepancy between the package size + product weight at checkout and when you go to print the label. Check to see what package size is being used to calculate shipping at checkout, and how it compares to the package dimensions you're using when you print the labels. Also check your product weights in Shopify. It sounds like your product size varies. I'm assuming since it's wood, the weight varies significantly depending on the size. If you have fixed product sizes and weights, that can be managed easily in Shopify. If your products vary in weight and size depending on how you make them each time, and there are not 'fixed' dimensions, that's harder to control, and it might be better to overstate the size so you're more likely to over-charge than under-charge for shipping.

Without knowing all the details, I'm just guessing here. Hopefully this helps, though.

Best regards,

Ron

woodwork
Tourist
6 0 0

Thanks, Ron

I was unaware that the live shipping rates could only be calculated by one default package size. You are correct that most of my products vary in size and weight so it makes it very hard to give a good default package size. Another question is where do I check the "Check to see what package size is being used to calculate shipping at checkout" as I've only seen where I add the weight of a product? The problem I have is my wood products vary from very small and lightweight to larger and heavier. I'm afraid if I adjust the weights that the shipping will way outprice the smaller products.

Anindita
Shopify Partner
58 1 9

Hi @woodwork,

Check to see what package size is being used to calculate shipping at checkout" as I've only seen where I add the weight of a product? 

You can check your Package size under Shopify settings> Shipping & Delivery> Packages. Take a look at this image for a better understanding:

Anindita_0-1637727553531.png

Shopify only offers one box size to be sent off for live rate calculations, regardless of the size of the actual order. The problem with using Shopify’s single box size is that you will be undercharging for some orders. Now since you already said you have wood products that vary from very small and lightweight to larger and heavier, this might be a challenging task with a lot of manual work from your side. This is one of the drawbacks for Shopify merchants looking for this feature. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
Ivy
Shopify Staff
176 25 25

Hi, @woodwork.

As mentioned already, this could be a problem with package dimensions making the cost inaccurate. If you have fixed product sizes and weights, that can be managed easily from directly within your admin using flat shipping rates by doing the following: 

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.

2. Next to the shipping profile that you want to add a shipping rate to, click Manage rates.

3. Next to the zone that you want to add a rate to, click Add rate.

4. Enter the name and amount for the rate.

5. Optional: Add weight-based or price-based conditions.

1. Click Add conditions.
    2. Select whether to base the condition on order weight or price.
    3. Enter the minimum and maximum value for the condition.
  6. Click Done, and then click Save.

Do you currently use Carrier Calcualted Shipping? With CCS, you won't have to manually enter estimated flat rates for all the places you ship, and you'll always charge the right amount for shipping. There are three ways to get real-time carrier calculated shipping on your account:  

1. Upgrade to the Advanced plan which carries this feature natively. (We understand the cost for the Advanced plan is not for every merchant which is why we also offer options 2 & 3)  

2. Add the real-time carrier calculated shipping to an existing plan at a rate of $20 per bill cycle. If we use the Basic plan as an example it would be $29 for Basic and then $20 for the real-time carrier calculated shipping for a total of $49 per bill cycle.

3. Pre-pay your subscription annually instead of on a 30 day cycle, and you can get 10% off of the plan, as well as real-time carrier calculated shipping included for free - A saving of $278 over the course of a year for our Shopify Basic Plan.

If you do wish to add CCS to your account: You can request this change by reaching out to our live support via phone, chat or email can be reached via our support portal here.  Simply type your query into the "ask about a topic" bar, then hit continue to support to access. Here's a video showing the steps in action. Thank you!

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
84 5 12

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @woodwork,

The package settings can be found in Shipping and delivery > Packages, as mentioned earlier by Anindita. 

I understand your situation. We have had similar situations with merchants using our app, where custom-built products vary in size and weight each time they are made. Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution for this, and you really can only manage if you are over-charging or under-charging for shipping, whichever is the more bearable of the two. You could put in your average package dims and product weights, or the max, or the min. In any of these cases, shipping will only be accurate some of the time.

Alternatively, if you establish set sizes for your products, you can enter each one as a unique SKU, which has its own weight. You can also set up variations in Shopify, so you could have Small cutting board, Medium cutting board, Large cutting, etc., -- or however you want to establish the 'fixed' sizes. Understandably, this alternative may limit a customer's ability to order a custom size, unless you set up a SKU for each possible size and weight.

Neither of these options eliminates the issue with Shopify's single default package rule, and you'd still have to choose a package that is most common -- or poses the least risk of incorrect shipping charges.

If you're open to using a third party solution, there are a few things you can do with Intuitive Shipping that might help. As with the recommendations above, we don't have the perfect solution for your specific case, but we can give you a bit more control than you have currently.

With Intuitive Shipping, you can add as many packages as you need, and our system will use the best fit for calculating rates. That will make dimensional shipping much more accurate than it is on Shopify alone.

Alternatively, you can create a 'call for quote' shipping method where your customer's are able to purchase a custom product with unique dimensions, and complete their checkout, but they must call your store to get a final shipping quote before you ship the product. This is probably more common than you think. And, if you have 'standard' products that you sell as well, you can still set up a 'standard' shipping method for customers who only only standard products (no custom items).

If you'd like to learn more about this, feel free to book a demo with one of our team members  who would be happy to walk you through the call-for-quote process and answer any of your questions about live rates and package sizes.

Please note that to use Intuitive Shipping - or any third-party rate calculation app - Shopify requires that you enable their third-party carrier-calculated shipping rates feature. This feature is $20 USD per month. If you change your Shopify billing to annual, they will add the feature at no additional cost (plus they will reduce your billing plan by 10%). If you're on the Advanced plan or higher, this feature is already included and activated by default.

Best regards,
Ron

View solution in original post