Shop Pay charging wrong tax/double charging

Solved
mogi_bagel
Visitor
2 0 0

All of my customers who use Shop Pay are seeing a double charge in their bank. Shop Pay is charging the wrong taxes, then voiding the transaction and charging the correct taxes. The first charge goes away after about a week for the customer so in the end they aren't actually double charged, but I'm getting tons of emails of people noticing this double charge in their bank. It's not a good look for my company and it does take at least a week for the double charge to go away. How can I make Shop Pay charge the correct amount of taxes in the first place so the double charge doesn't happen? Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 12.44.21 PM.png

Accepted Solution (1)
Kimi
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1505 168 251

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @mogi_bagel.

The screenshot you've shown aligns with the expected behaviour of our system's estimated taxes calculation process during checkout. The reason why an order's tax amount may be updated is because the system will only calculate a final tax amount after a checkout process is complete, and proceeds to then charge this finalized amount to the customer.

This help guide has a detailed explanation that I encourage you to go through, for full information on customer experience with estimated tax, as well as the difference between payment authorization and capture.

I definitely understand your perspective however, and can see how it may create confusion for customers to see two separate authorizations appear within their bank statement. I'll be sure to pass this on as feedback to our internal development team, so that they're aware of the concerns you've shared here with us. We can't confirm or guarantee if or when feature requests such as this one will be implemented to our platform, but you can keep an eye out on our Changelog here for the most up-to-date releases to Shopify.

Appreciate you sharing your experience and feedback with us!

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Kimi
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1505 168 251

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @mogi_bagel.

The screenshot you've shown aligns with the expected behaviour of our system's estimated taxes calculation process during checkout. The reason why an order's tax amount may be updated is because the system will only calculate a final tax amount after a checkout process is complete, and proceeds to then charge this finalized amount to the customer.

This help guide has a detailed explanation that I encourage you to go through, for full information on customer experience with estimated tax, as well as the difference between payment authorization and capture.

I definitely understand your perspective however, and can see how it may create confusion for customers to see two separate authorizations appear within their bank statement. I'll be sure to pass this on as feedback to our internal development team, so that they're aware of the concerns you've shared here with us. We can't confirm or guarantee if or when feature requests such as this one will be implemented to our platform, but you can keep an eye out on our Changelog here for the most up-to-date releases to Shopify.

Appreciate you sharing your experience and feedback with us!

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog