Shopify not charging my customer shipping fee

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

I have had this happen a couple times now.  Doesn't happen on one particular item or anything, just at random.  This time the customer did use a discount code, if that has anything to do with it?  My site has a $45 and up Free Shipping rate.  Anything below that is $3.99.  This customers order was $17 and there was no shipping charge.  I checked the rate, the product that was being purchased is included with that rate so the fee should have been applied.  The only thing I can think is that my checkout integration is to blame.  It is a page made to look like my website but the checkout is not through Shopify Payments.  Really can't have this happening.  Any ideas?

Replies 6 (6)

rch
Visitor
1 0 0

Having the same problem now and trying to get it figured out. Can you please update if you got this resolved?

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 131

Hi @Nous333!

I have a few questions for you which will hopefully help me to figure out how to troubleshoot this issue for you: When did this problem first begin? Is it a new added shipping rate, or newly added product this is happening with? Do you have any newly added apps affecting checkout/shipping?

I look forward to hearing back fro you with more context and details! 

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify

Out Of Office

-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

Couldn't tell you when it first started happening.. launched my site in March, has happened probably 3-4 times over the last 4 months or so.  No new shipping rate was added, and the product was not new.  When it happened in the past it was with different products... so I don't think it has to do with the product.  All my products are added to the $0-45 $3.99rate and they are all added to the $45+ free shipping rate.  So it isn't like the rate couldn't be applied because the products were not added.   

The only thing I can think is that the customer clicked the 'complete purchase' button before the shipping options could load on my checkout page and so no shipping rate was applied.  OR another thought I have had is maybe there are a few people out there that know some trick to prevent the shipping rate from being applied.  

But while I have someone from Shopify here, can I also ask you, why in the hell Shopify forces the use of pre-named shipping rates?  If I use USPS for shipping, but I don't have all the weights of my items entered in, I can't use the 'carrier rates' which are labeled for USPS First Class and Priority.  I have to use Shopify's default labels which are 'Standard' and 'Express'.  I recently had a customer ask me why their shipping info email said 'Priority' when they paid for 'Express'.   Kind of a dumb question but still, it really should say 'USPS Priority' on my website... not Express.  

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 131

My apologies @Nous333  - I had written this reply to send the same day you wrote your previous reply to me, but I accidentally forgot to hit "send".

Interesting theory you have about not completing orders - would you mind sharing with me a public/store front link to your store? I'd like to have a look at how the shipping appears for me and try some text checkouts if that's OK with you.  Can you please confirm for me that you do have the carrier calculated shipping feature activated on your account? Are you currently using an app such as a dropshipping app? These can create a different, separate shipping profile and affect checkouts. 

As for the shipping rate names - I can definitely see how this could be confusing for your customers. Currently it is not possible to adjust how these rates appear to customers. I would like to take your feedback on not being to edit this to my development team if you don't mind? While I cannot guarantee this change will be applied in future, the more votes we get for certain features then the more likely it is it will be applied. You can keep an eye on future updates at our changelog here

In the meantime, a possible workaround for this problem could be to use our theme language editor tool to display more details to customers, e.g. make checkout's 'Shipping Method' title include handling times, or something like "Shipping Rates without the Carrier Listed will be rates through DHL.". Here's an example of how this might look for you:

08-15-48240-99810

I hope this helps! 

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify

Out Of Office

-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

If I had the carrier calculated rates activated, then I wouldn't have shipping rates titled 'Express' and I wouldn't have confused customers when they get tracking info for Priority Mail.  I thought that was pretty clear.  I guess not.  I also clearly stated in my original post that I have a flat rate set for orders under $45 of $3.99.  Everything above this is free.  

Site URL:  www.saucewarehouse.com   I have noticed many of the instances where this is happening, "saucy boss wax" is in the cart.  But this is not the only product it happens with.  

Not using any dropshipping apps.  And yes you can use my feedback.  While your at it, tell whoever needs to hear it that Shopify needs to work on mobile site speed.  I have had 3 SEO companies now tell me they can do nothing to improve site speed because of Shopify's framework.  

Taylore
Tourist
3 0 1

The US customer purchased a $30 item that we have been selling for over a year and a shopping cart did not charge the shipping fee. 

I've also been getting some international orders of which there is no shipping fee added ( we do not offer international purchases except for Canada. ) just have to refund these international orders because it's not worth my time to try to fix them.