shopify payment

Naffytz
4 0 0

If I do not have a SSN . Can I still use  shopify payments. I have registered my store in the USA

Replies 6 (6)

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hi there @Naffytz 

You are very welcome to the Shopify Community!

I can see you have a query with regards to the SSN requirements for Shopify Payments - I'd be happy to help clarify this for you.

You mentioned that you have registered your store in the USA. May I ask if your store is operating out of the US, or have you simply added a US address to the Shopify Store? This is important, because having a genuine presence on US soil is a requirement for using Shopify Payments USA, and proof of this would be required during the on-boarding phase.

You asked specifically about whether or not you need to have an SSN - generally if you are a US citizen then you would need to provide your SSN. If you are hoping to use a Shopify Payments USA account and you do not have an SSN number, then it is possible our team can review your case, however no guarantees could be made.

The reason an individual tax ID number is important is because an individual person's details are required for every Shopify Payments account, even if you have a registered business with an EIN for example. This elected person will act as the Shopify Payments account representative and their details will be stored in addition to any business details. There are generally no exceptions to this rule because Shopify has to adhere to strict compliance and underwriting practices. I invite you to take a look at the Shopify Payments Terms of Service document for more information, and in particular section B-3 which outlines the type of verification we can request. 

Just so you are fully aware, the full list of requirements for using Shopify Payments USA are as follows: (please do not attach any of these documents here).

• A government issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc). We may be able to accept non-US ID.
  • A Tax ID in the United States: EIN if you're registered with the IRS as a business, SSN if you're registered with the IRS as an individual/sole proprietor.
  • State level business registration document.
  • Proof of your physical presence in the US. For example our review team may ask for things like a lease/rental agreement, or proof of orders being shipped from the US etc.
  • A USD checking account, opened with a real US banking institution, located on US soil. Virtual banks, currency services or other specialty accounts will not work for this, it has to be a standard US bank.

Keep in mind that being able to provide these documents does not automatically qualify you to use Shopify Payments US. This is simply the initial step in the review process. Once you've submitted the required documents, our review team would then reach out to you with more information.

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Naffytz
4 0 0

Hi Rick,

I am not based in the USA but I have registered my store in the USA.  I have my Articles of incorporation and my EIN.  I am just trying to set up my store so that I can accept a variety of payments. I am working on my banking solutions trying to get the best one for me.

Naffytz
4 0 0

Rick,

In other words. I do not need to use Shopify payment. I just want to set up a payment provider that will give my customers more access than paypal. So if I use Payoneer or stripe or something else. What will work for me

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hi @Naffytz 

Thanks for replying back with the extra information.

I understand that you simply wish to use a payment provider so your customers can have some options when purchasing from your store.

Based on the requirements explained above, as your business is not physically located in the US you will most likely not be able to use Shopify Payments.

The payment providers available to you will generally depend on where the store is located. Similarly to how Shopify Payments has requirements, other third party payment gateways will have their own set of requirements that you must adhere to. It is possible that because your physical address is not located in the US that you may have some difficulties when setting up accounts with other US providers, however you would need to speak to those providers directly to find out their eligibility criteria. 

There's quite a few payment gateways available to US merchants - check out this link for a full list. Also, feel free to watch this YouTube video from our Shopify Help Centre which explains how to choose a payment provider. As well as this, we have some helpful information about configuring third party payment providers here that you may find useful.

Rick | Shopify 

GimboSlice
Excursionist
58 0 8

@Rick Hi Rick,

I have provided all the requested information in regard to businesses operating in the USA and still haven't gotten my account approved. We have a warehouse, and lease agreement in the USA. 

Can you provide assistance on this? And, what's meant by operating in the USA?

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hey @GimboSlice 

Apologies for the delay in replying to your message.

I understand that you have provided all of the requested information for setting up Shopify Payments, but still haven't yet been approved. You were also wondering what I meant about operating in the USA - I'd be happy to explain.

In order to be eligible to use Shopify Payments US, your business would need to have physical operations on US soil. Some examples of this would be US based offices, US retail locations, rented or owned warehouse spaces in the US etc. You mentioned that you have a lease on a warehouse in the US, so that is good to hear. 

However, please be advised that being able to provide all of the requested documents does not automatically qualify you to use Shopify Payments US. Submitting the documents is simply the initial step in the review process. We cannot make any guarantees that you would be eligible, as each case is treated individually and reviewed by our internal teams based on your specific information. Once you've submitted the required documents, our review team will reach out to you with next steps.

For now it sounds like you have done everything that is required, and you will need to wait for us to send you an update. Once our team replies, you can send any followup questions directly to them. I cannot access your account here on the Shopify Community, so the team handling this will be the best equipped to assist going forward.

Rick | Shopify