Shopify payments and selling alcohol in the UK

Solved
OliverP1
3 0 1

Hi,

Can I use Shopify Payments to sell alcohol (wine) from a Shopify store and in person in the UK?

I have read the terms of service and alcohol is not listed as a prohibited product, but in the UK it is obviously "age restricted". I have seen a previous Shopify staff answer to a similar question earlier this year, but it is vague. Also, I know a number of other wine stores in the UK currently use Shopify Payments. (I have also spoken to chat support, who told me to read the terms of service.) I feel a bit like I'm going around in circles! 

If anyone can give me a definitive answer on this I'd be really grateful!

Best

Oli 

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Ted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1254 114 145

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @OliverP1,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us!

I recently answered something similar here which should answer your query. Overall, you are welcome to use Shopify Payments and sell wine, however, all stores are manually reviewed by our Shopify Payments team and must meet certain criteria before the application can be accepted. These details can vary depending on where you are located but the team will be able to provide more info when reviewing your application.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)
Ted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1254 114 145

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @OliverP1,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us!

I recently answered something similar here which should answer your query. Overall, you are welcome to use Shopify Payments and sell wine, however, all stores are manually reviewed by our Shopify Payments team and must meet certain criteria before the application can be accepted. These details can vary depending on where you are located but the team will be able to provide more info when reviewing your application.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 

OliverP1
3 0 1

Hi!

thank you so much for getting back to me - I really appreciate it!

Oli

PerfectServeOFF
1 0 0

Hi @Ted , Thanks for the confirmation.

Is it the same with pre mixed cocktails as it is with wine? We already have the required licenses for online marketplaces like Amazon but we would like to move to Shopify.

Thanks,

Kimi
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
589 85 119

Hi, @PerfectServeOFF!

If you plan to sell any alcoholic products on Shopify, you'll need to comply with certain laws and regulations that may apply to your business, as explained on our help document here.

If you're also looking to use Shopify Payments, which is our native payment gateway on Shopify, you may need to provide documentation for review in order to sell alcohol through Shopify Payments. This will differ for each business, as the information required will depend on where your business is located. For more information, you can contact our live support team directly here, who will be able to consult with our Shopify Payments team on your behalf if needed.

I'll link our Shopify Learn course here, on selling alcohol, for your reference. You can also take a look at third-party apps such as this one, to help you migrate from Amazon to Shopify. If Amazon allows you to export your products as CSV files, you can also opt to upload your products to Shopify via a CSV file import.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify