I offer three USPS rates for my US-based customers:
USPS First-Class Package Service - Retail
USPS Priority Mail 2-Day
USPS Priority Mail Express 2-Day
I have a product I am selling that weighs 3 pounds, 4 ounces. Since the First-Class rate applies to packages weighing less than 16 ounces, this option would (correctly) never appear.
Most of my customers receive the other two options, and select the USPS Priority Mail 2-Day option. However, I have had about 10% of my customers receive ONLY the USPS Priority Mail Express 2-Day option, which is 4-5 times more expensive than the other option. Screen shots sent to me confirm that this is the only option they receive -- for the SAME exact product as everyone else is ordering.
I'm at a loss here. Not sure where to look since 90% of the orders work correctly. Thoughts on how /where to correct this???
Did this ever get resolved? We're having the exact same problem and it seemed to start when the postal rates changed. Also, our international customers previously had something called "USPS First-Class Package International Service" which apparently no longer exists. We checked the option for "USPS First-Class Package Service - Retail" but our store still only offers shipping for the much more expensive "USPS Priority Mail International" and if we get rid of that option, the customer is told we don't deliver overseas at all!
Not sure what's going on here or why Shopify isn't being more responsive. Surely others are running into this issue?
It did indeed get resolved. Here are the steps our Shopify expert we hired provided:
1. Enable all USPS options for all shipping profiles, including First Class and Package Parcel.
2. Enable other carriers so system has an option to fallback.
3. Remove package configs. Or you can try setting package weight to 0. (You can cover the cost of your packages in "handling" fees. USPS also offers free boxes for priority shipping.)
4. Delete deactivated location.
5. After deleting deactivated location, delete shipping zones for shipping profiles and add them again.
6. Reverse shipping profiles. Use custom shipping profile for your pre-orders. General profile should be inclusive of sub-profiles. Right now sub-profile has more options. This will require you to reassign products to shipping profiles.