Test Payment works, real doesn't

GrahamBerner
Visitor
1 0 0

Ok. Setting up site and ready soon to rock and roll. Did test payment. Worked. Then I wnate to do a REAL payment to walk through the process. Works all the way until I get to the PAY NOW. I click and does not complete transaction...saying ERROR in the url window. And nothing on the website screen. Help. 

Not sure why I'm getting this. 

Using Shopify Payments. 

Reply 1 (1)

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hey, @GrahamBerner!

I'm Ava from Shopify Support, happy to chat here!

It sounds like you have not selected a subscription plan or added your credit card details yet. Simulating an order or testing Shopify Payments can be done without a card on file, as no cash is moving through the checkout. In order to test the checkout with a real order, there needs to be credit card information on file. This is because there would be additional charges per order that go through the checkout; for example, credit card rates or transaction fees. If you are using Shopify Payments, you would not pay transaction fees, only credit card rates. This excerpt from our Help Docs goes over this in more detail:

20-09-375ni-1zlrs

This is why a credit card needs to be in place to support an order going through the checkout - these credit card rates will need to be paid. After you've placed the test order, be sure to cancel the order and refund yourself once it's done!

Have you thought much about subscription plans yet? It's important to select the plan that works best for your business! If you weren’t sure about which plan is best for your needs, there is a layout here of the different features of each plan. Once you have decided on a plan, you can follow these steps to update your plan settings in the admin.

I know there is a lot of information included above! We try to be as transparent as possible when it comes to billing so you understand what you are paying for. How are you getting along with the setup of your store?

Speak soon!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog