The checkout was detected as a fraud by the system.

S_HAN
Explorer
51 2 17

A customer in Bolivia failed to pay with PayPal and was detected as a fraud by the system. However, I know that he is not a fraud. This customer has already placed several orders in my store.
Customers asked PayPal and bank customer service, and they all said they had no problems.
So, does Shopify have a function to add customers to the whitelist?

Reply 1 (1)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey, @S_HAN!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here in the Shopify Community.

Fraud Analysis

Shopify's built-in fraud analysis uses machine learning algorithms to help bring suspicious orders to your attention. It's possible that the customer's order was flagged due to characteristics that reflect possible fraudulent behavior. Indicators can give you an idea about how to investigate an order, it doesn't necessarily mean that the order is fraudulent (like in your case). The flagged indicators can include information such as:

21-08-fayy3-ccn5o

Green indicators show information about the order that is usually seen on legitimate orders. Red indicators show information about the order that is usually seen on fraudulent orders. Grey indicators give you additional information about the order that could be useful.

Currently, it's not possible to change the risk status of an order once it has been marked as a certain status nor is it possible to whitelist customers to bypass the fraud analysis. You are only able to prevent certain customers from ordering through a Fraud Filter app. Something to remember though is that the High Risk shouldn't affect the operation of your store. The flag is there as a warning to the store owners such as yourself, to allow you to choose how to deal with the orders and the high-risk status won't change even if the order goes through legitimately.

Fraud Recommendation

If your store is on the Shopify plan or higher or uses Shopify Payments on any plan, then fraud analysis gives you a fraud recommendation on all online credit card orders.

The fraud recommendation tells you if an order has a low, medium, or high risk of a chargeback due to fraud. If an order has a medium or a high risk, then it's flagged on the Orders page with a warning symbol next to the order number. Flagged orders are also brought to your attention in order notification emails if you subscribe to them.

If an order is at a high risk of fraud, then you can attempt to:

At the end of the day, it is totally your decision to fulfill high-risk orders or cancel them based on the evidence you have received.

TIP: A normal process in owning a business is your partners (including the services you incorporate into your business) managing their risk, however, new entrepreneurs have difficulty navigating their way around these situations. If you find yourself with PayPal holding your funds you have some steps they recommend to follow here. The better you manage your business, the less likely it is you'll encounter difficult situations with your payment gateways. Don't forget that you can eliminate your transaction fees with us by adding Shopify Payments as a gateway (if supported in your country) option for your customers as well.

These situations can be tough, however, if you do have any other questions or need anything clarified, please let me know as I'd be happy to help!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog