This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal.

sethf
Tourist
11 0 4

Hi,

Just wondering if this is something to do with something on my end or if its the customers card/account?

Replies 22 (22)

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

I want to gather further context here so I can provide you with a possible solution. Is the customer trying to check out using PayPal?

Who is receiving this error message - the customer or yourself? If possible, are you able to send through a screenshot of the error message please!

Nia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

KatKat1
Tourist
7 0 0

I am getting this error message today. The customer is trying to pay with papal and i saw this error on the admin side when looking at abandoned cart. What could it be? 

KatKat1_0-1638416623697.png

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 77

Hi, @!

Last week we had ongoing issues with the Paypal Express Gateway so the gateway was temporarily disabled to fix the issue. However, this has since been resolved and enabled so your customers should no longer be receiving this error message when using the Paypal Express Checkout.

If you find that the issue is still persisting today on your store, please let me know so I can look into this further for you!

I also want to provide resources to help you out further with your store beyond this. How are your marketing strategies going for the Holiday Season?

Nia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mirkatStore
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi there, 

Thank you for the feedback guys, my store is experiencing exactly the same problem described here.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 22.42.33.pngScreenshot 2022-12-13 at 22.41.36.png

Each error happened in different days and timeline. Can anyone please help me understand. Why are the Store checkout is getting these errors and how can we resolve this??

Thanks  

Cadia
Visitor
1 0 0

I have exactly the same problem 😥

b3atcraft
Tourist
6 0 3

I have the same issue with our store.

I have tried reconnecting my PayPal account but the problem still persists.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 13.25.19.png

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 13.25.35.png

  

Seby897
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Shopify team,

I have also the same problem. Please help us and give us a solution. We are loosing customers and money. 

Thanks for your fast response and help!

Sebastian

Seby897_0-1672224602177.png

Ymcousins
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I am getting the same. 

It happened on Saturday and today. Anyone can help?

Ymcousins_0-1673850594966.png

Thanks 

hjones
Visitor
2 0 1

I am having the same problem. I have been onto customer support with Shopify AND Paypal and both report that there seems to be no issues. After finding this feed, and all the other people having problems, it is obvious that there is an issue! As others have reported, I am also losing customers from this.

GravGrip
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm also having this issue! 2 times in the last 24 hours customer had reaching out with this issue. We've never experienced this before. I've talked to support and have showed them this thread. They are looking into it

Screenshot..png

elbeer
Tourist
5 0 7

I have hundreds of these every day. Started a few days ago. Now looking into alternative ecom solutions as paypal and shopify both say it has nothing to do with them

elbeer
Tourist
5 0 7

This is why the error is happening:

This error is being caused by a PSD2 compliance issue. Essentially, when the payment initiates, the amount that is being set to be charged needs to be consistent. If there is an increase in the amount being charged during the payment, the 10486 error is returned to the buyer.

I verified this with your most recent example

• In the SetExpressCheckout call the parameter "paymentrequest_0_amt    "2.99"" was passed. This set the total amount to be charged at 2.99
  • In the DoExpressCheckoutPayment call the parameter "paymentrequest_0_amt    "4.24"" was passed.
  • This total mismatch triggered the 10486 error. 

The intended response on this is to redirect the buyer back to PayPal with the same redirect URL that was used in the initial payment setup so the buyer can re-start the process with the actual amount that is to be charged. I do not know if Shopify is able to accommodate this redirect, I'd recommend reaching out to them to verify their capability.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but the 10486 errors you're seeing are due to correct behavior on our end. The PSD2 regulations require this behavior, there is no exemption for this.

So basically, if you are charging shipping then the payment will fail on the paypal buy now button. Because the shipping cost is not authorised.

Quick work around - set shipping cost to FREE SHIPPING and add the cost of shipping to your items.

Ymcousins
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Elbeer, 

Thank you, I did charge the shipping. May be that is the problem. I will try to add the shipping to the cost, and see I can get around with this issue. 

Many Thanks. 

zando09
Excursionist
14 0 9

Hello Elbeer, 

Thanks a lot for investigating this. I wonder if Shopify is aware of this and if all the merchants have the same problem. This seems to be a major issue during checkout, did you manage to get it to work properly? I have been experiencing this super frustrating answer both from Shopify and PayPal support teams blaming the customer account without digging into the problem

elbeer
Tourist
5 0 7

Shopify are in denial over the issue. The correct flow of a buy now should be 1. Select Product 2. Choose shipping 3. calculate total cost 4. then Buy Now - Shopify refuse to accept this and say it is not their fault.

The only way to improve the situation is - Remove the buy now buttons from product pages, cart - but it is impossiple to remove them from the checkout.

Another solution is to add shipping as a variant so that the product cost is included with the shipping

zando09
Excursionist
14 0 9

Hello Elbeer,
Thanks a lot for your reply. It seems even more complex than this, Shopify's checkout behavior changes also based on the device you are using. For example on desktop the PayPal Express Checkout problem is confined, in fact, rates are "loaded" already at the address stage calculating the total cost correctly before the PayPal pre-authorization. Whereas on mobile the rates are calculated only at the shipping level making the first authorization differ from the total cost and causing the abovementioned problem.

Moreover, I tested Apple and Google express checkout and they both have a system in place to load the rates correctly both on desktop and mobile.

I documented everything with voiced-over video recording on different devices, are you interested in following this topic also for your case? Maybe we can support each other and encourage Shopify to act on this major bug.

Desalb
Tourist
10 0 1

Anyone has any idea on why only few shops have this issue?

Its very frustrating seeing competitors running on shopify with a perfectly functioning PayPal Express Checkout while you loose sales... We pay the monthly subscription just as they do, so i don't get why we don't deserve the platform to work flawlessly as it is for them!

cosmeticscorner
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi, we offer free shipping on all products and have also been getting these error messages.

elbeer
Tourist
5 0 7

Some will be genuine bad funding source.

carlosx2
Excursionist
13 0 6

We had this issue last week and lost sales because of this. If this problem is this old, why hasn't it been solved? I am not sure this is caused by the one page checkout that we have activated. 

KamiaMone1
Visitor
1 0 1

still having this issue in 2024... its so annoying

Desalb
Tourist
10 0 1

Same here!!!