Solved

Why does my return address repeat on UPS labels from my online store?

BLeather
Tourist
11 0 15

I just noticed this, but my return address isn't showing up completely on UPS labels I purchase through Shopify. USPS labels are fine.

My return address has a street address and an Address Line 2 (ex: Suite 1234). Instead of showing the Address Line 2, it prints my name a second time.

Looking at this further, the "Ship To" address is doing the same thing. My customer doesn't have an Address Line 2, luckily, but their name is showing up twice.

Anyone else have this issue? Any idea how I can correct it or is this an issue Shopify needs to look into?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)
Greta
Shopify Staff
1105 118 140

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @BLeather.

Thank you for following up! I understand how this can cause issues if customers end up returning orders themselves rather than going through UPS directly. Currently, this isn’t something that can be edited, since it is the standard UPS shipping label format. Given your experience here I can see why being able to edit the address would be a useful feature so I have submitted a feature request with our development team, and I’ve included your feedback. I can’t guarantee this feature would be added, but I’m happy to put the request forth for you! You can view platform updates and new features in the Shopify Changelog.

One workaround that other merchants have used is including the contents of Address Line 2 in Address Line 1, like so:

• 123 Main Street, Unit 1

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this with me.

Greta | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Greta
Shopify Staff
1105 118 140

Hi, @BLeather!

I’m happy to provide you with some more information regarding how UPS labels are formatted. 

It is actually expected behaviour that the Address Line 2 doesn’t appear in the Return Address on these shipping labels. When you register to use UPS through Shopify Shipping, you register an address for your returned shipments. When UPS scans the barcode on a shipping label they see the full address (including the apartment, unit, or suite number) and that's what they use rather than what is printed on the label. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Greta | Shopify 

BLeather
Tourist
11 0 15

Hi @Greta,

Thank you for the reply! My actual return address that UPS uses behind the scenes is correct. I'm not worried about how UPS handles the delivery. I'm more worried about what the customer sees on the packages they receive. If a customer needs to initiate a return with me, I do provide them with the full return address; however, many customers will ignore the provided instructions and just return the product using the address they see on the original packaging.

More for the customer's sake than UPS's.

Any tips on how I can update the label?

Greta
Shopify Staff
1105 118 140

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @BLeather.

Thank you for following up! I understand how this can cause issues if customers end up returning orders themselves rather than going through UPS directly. Currently, this isn’t something that can be edited, since it is the standard UPS shipping label format. Given your experience here I can see why being able to edit the address would be a useful feature so I have submitted a feature request with our development team, and I’ve included your feedback. I can’t guarantee this feature would be added, but I’m happy to put the request forth for you! You can view platform updates and new features in the Shopify Changelog.

One workaround that other merchants have used is including the contents of Address Line 2 in Address Line 1, like so:

• 123 Main Street, Unit 1

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this with me.

Greta | Shopify 

BLeather
Tourist
11 0 15

That is a good suggestion, thank you. I'll look into making my address into a single line for now. Thanks for submitting this suggestion to the dev team. Based on my experiences with customers, they absolutely will use what's printed on the original shipping box and use that as the return address. I think having a 2 line address on UPS labels should be supported in the future.

Thanks again Greta.

-BLeather

businessboss22
Tourist
8 0 4

Hello, Greta

I've always had contents of Address Line 2 in Address Line 1 and it's still not working for UPS!  The UPS shipping label shows my business name 3x and city and state.  I agree with the other person if mail has to be redelivered back it doesn't list the street address.  This has been going on since last year and writing the street address is very unprofessional!  This only happens with UPS labels and not USPS.  There's definitely a glitch that still hasnt' been fixed.

Greta
Shopify Staff
1105 118 140

Hi there, @businessboss22!

Thank you for your comment and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your shipping labels. Since I'm unable to authenticate through the Community Forums, I won't be able to look into your account and see what the issue might be. I would, however, recommend you get in touch with our live support team through the Help Center. We're available 24/7 and can review your account and see why the information on your shipping label is being duplicated.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

Greta | Shopify