USPS First Class shipping method does not show

pinecosmetics
1 0 0

Offering Free Shipping for customers. Would like to select USPS First Class as shipping method to ship but does now give me this selection when I try to print shipping label. Instead only shows USPS Priority. Where can I find this setting?

Replies 9 (9)
Elias
Shopify Staff
1399 132 208

Hey, @pinecosmetics.

Elias here with Shopify Support. That's a great question!

There isn't a settings to enable or disable First Class Mail for Shopify Shipping labels, as the shipping methods are based on the packages and shipment weight. It's also important to note that First Class Mail does not include tracking or insurance; however, First Class Package includes tracking. 

For an order to qualify for First Class Mail it must be:

* 13 oz (0.8123 lb) or less
* In an envelope larger than 11.5 x 6.1 inches and no bigger than 15 x 12 inches, link here
* Or in a soft package less than 0.75 inches thick.
* Boxes do not qualify for First Class Mail rates.

For an order to qualify for First Class Package it must be:

* weight: for Shopify Shipping 15.999 oz or less
* weight: when using your own account 13 oz (0.8125 lb) or less when using retail pricing, Page 7 here.
* weight: when using your own account 15.999 oz (0.99 lbs) or less when using commercial pricing, Page 17 here.

I hope this helps clarify the USPS First Class shipping method. If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

aakin
Tourist
3 0 1

I'm having the same issue.

Before today, I have a shipping profile with a small box (9x9x6) for USPS First Class. I have been able to print etc. with this option which is a bit more economical versus priority shipping which is almost twice as much.

I see that the staff here says that "*Boxes do no qualify for First Class Mail rates", which can't be true, because this is the option I have used, printed a label for and successfully shipped. Furthermore, USPS certainly offers First Class for small boxes.

This issue of not having First Class USPS mail as an option has only recently disappeared for me on my last 2 orders. Prior to this, First Class USPS has always been an option. 

Would love some feedback as to why this option has disappeared.

metroretro
Excursionist
21 0 10

I'm having the same issue -- an order was just abandoned, although the total weight of the two items in the order comes to 4 oz. total. Yet, Shopify has bumped it up to Priority International, when it should default to First Class International as it always has.

Something has definitely changed, and the fluke has now cost me two sales.  I would appreciate if one of the gurus can look into this and find out why these shipping settings are suddenly defaulting to the more expensive option, when the weight doesn't justify it.  Many thanks.

aakin
Tourist
3 0 1
I had the same issue and have found a fix.

I only used USPS First Class to ship my products. I use a 9x9x6 box as well.

I found that when you go to the unfulfilled order and create a shipping
label, you will see your products and the weight.

My weight wasn't populated correctly and once I input the correct weight,
the First Class USPS option appeared.

Having discovered this, I will now put the correct weight per item and the
correct weight of my box (already saved) to prevent this issue from
happening again.

Hope this helps someone here.
metroretro
Excursionist
21 0 10

Thank you for a solution Aakin.  A little while ago, I removed the Priority mail option from my settings, hoping that the mail option will default to First Class, as it is supposed to.

When I look at the 'abandoned cart' reminder letter though, the higher Priority mail fee still appears.  I don't know if it will adjust itself or not when the email is automatically sent.

I use a 9 x 6 padded envelope.  I also lowered the weight for each item from 2 oz. each to 1 oz. each.  I have no idea if this will make a difference or not, but if the abandoned cart letter doesn't make the adjustment, I have essentially lost the sale.

Elias
Shopify Staff
1399 132 208

Hey, @aakin & @metroretro.

Thank you both for joining the thread and sharing details on the issue!

I've taken a look at our changelog and I didn't find any changes or updates made to USPS or the carrier services. While I'm unable to take a closer look at account-specific issues, as we're unable to authenticate merchant accounts here on the Community Forums. However, our Support team would be more than happy to assist you with this through live chat, email, or callback. To get in touch with our Support team, please visit Shopify Help Center and log in to your account. 

09-55-t3y7j-yjxu6

I hope this points you in the right direction to get help with your shipping rates. If you have any other questions, don't' hesitate to let me know!

whiskeyviolet
1 0 1

Hello - 

I have the same issue with First Class packages, and my shipping method hasn't changed. I have been able to ship heavier items (3-5 lbs) in a polymailer using First Class, yet a 1 lb package is requiring Priority. How do I fix this if nothing has changed?

mredman78
3 0 0

having the same issue, I hope someone can help!

I didn't make any changes to shipping methods at all, and now suddenly only Priority Mail is an option, not First Class Package like it always has been.

Elias
Shopify Staff
1399 132 208

Hey, @whiskeyviolet & @mredman78.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I've taken a look at the requirements for First Class Mail and First Class Package, and it appears that they are both under 1 lb. While I understand you haven't made any changes to your shipping settings, I'm also not sure how you were able to use First Class Mail or First Class Package for items weighing 3-5 lbs. 

For an order to qualify for First Class Mail it must be:

* 13 oz (0.8123 lb) or less
* In an envelope larger than 11.5 x 6.1 inches and no bigger than 15 x 12 inches, link here
* Or in a soft package less than 0.75 inches thick.
Boxes do not qualify for First Class Mail rates.

For an order to qualify for First Class Package it must be:

* weight: for Shopify Shipping 15.999 oz or less
* weight: when using your own account 13 oz (0.8125 lb) or less when using retail pricing, Page 7 here.
* weight: when using your own account 15.999 oz (0.99 lbs) or less when using commercial pricing, Page 17 here.

If you believe there is a mistake, then it looks like we'll need to access your account in order to take a closer look. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if our Support team can help you identify and resolve the issue. Keep me posted!