USPS not calculating rates at checkout for packages over 1lb

TMMM
Visitor
2 0 2

Please help. I'm trying to sell hoodies, and ship via USPS calculated shipping, through trial and error I've found that if a customer were to order a quantity of two, it puts the package over 1lb, and then the customer can't check out as a shipping rate isn't calculated. As long as the package is under 1lb the customer can check out. Again I'm trying to use USPS calculated shipping with a First Class Package. The hoodies have their own custom shipping profile. The package is 14x19x1.5.

Reply 1 (1)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

Hey, @TMMM. That’s a great observation, and I’m glad you’ve come across it; It’s very important to work out in order to prevent any potentially lost sales.

Shipping carriers have weight and shape requirements for each of their shipping methods. For USPS First-Class Mail Packages specifically, the total weight maximum is 13 oz, or 0.8125 lbs. Therefore, when enabling only USPS First Class Mail rates and an order’s total weight is greater than 0.8125 lbs, there isn’t a shipping rate that fits the order specifications, therefore no shipping option will be made available to your customer at the checkout. Does that make sense?

In order to account for this, you’ll need to add another USPS shipping method that is for packages heavier than 13 oz; For example, USPS Priority Mail is for packages up to 70 lbs. Take a look at the Help Doc for Shopify Shipping for USPS, for all the available types of mail with USPS when using Shopify Shipping, and the link to USPS’s requirements for that type of mail.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.