Solved

USPS suspended service to Australia, and my package was returned. How do I get a shipping refund?

Joshua_Jacobs
Tourist
6 0 4

I shipped a package to Australia via USPS First Class International on September 3 (before service was suspended), but it was returned to me with a sticker saying

Mail service suspended - return to sender. 

To request a postage refund:

1. Go to usps.com/help/claims.thm.

2. Click on the "international shipments" tab for instructions

Well I did that, and it directs me to call them to request a refund. 

I did THAT, and then, because the postage was paid through a third party (Shopify), it directs me to request a refund from that third party. 

So... is there some way for me to get a refund for the $28.26 I spent on shipping? Or did I just get proverbially sodomized by the system? 

Accepted Solution (1)
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

This is an accepted solution.

Hello again, everyone!

I do have an update to share along with next steps on proceeding with these types of shipping situations.

We ask that you connect with our 24/7 Support team directly so we can offer 1:1 support. Since this is a public space, we cannot access accounts, however, our Shipping team can definitely help guide with next steps once your account is authenticated and accessible.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 12 (12)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Hey, @Joshua_Jacobs.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'd be happy to investigate this deeper for you.

I am checking in with our Shipping team to get a definite answer for you on how you can proceed with a refund here, and I will be in touch very soon.

Thank you for your patience,

jankyeric
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm also encountering this issue. Please let us know when you are able to provide a refund process. 

Jesse-James
Shopify Partner
22 0 9

Heya,

I run a fulfillment service app (ShipRelay) so I figure id chime in here.

While this isn't an issue with Shopify shipping, its on the carrier itself (stamps.com and USPS) - where we are able to generate a quote for a shipping label, but when we go to render (ie pay for) a label, we get the error that USPS has suspended service to AU..

Ideally, when we go to get a quote, it should state that the service is not available.  However, since no labels are being purchased through the carrier, going to USPS to void and refund would not work - its simply a label that could not be manifested - so if Shopify Shipping charged you, they would need to refund you.

Hope that helps

Jesse

Mercantile Apps - simple apps for enterprise growth
Learn more
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

This is an accepted solution.

Hello again, everyone!

I do have an update to share along with next steps on proceeding with these types of shipping situations.

We ask that you connect with our 24/7 Support team directly so we can offer 1:1 support. Since this is a public space, we cannot access accounts, however, our Shipping team can definitely help guide with next steps once your account is authenticated and accessible.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Warm regards,

Merch20
Visitor
1 0 1

We too are needing very detailed instruction on how to get this refund from usps for the suspension in Australia. Usps does not spell out how to get it if purchased postage thru Shopify. 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Thanks for joining our thread, @Merch20.

We ask that all merchants connect with our Support team directly through the link I shared earlier for these situations.

If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.

Warm regards,

Ryan_Zellars
Tourist
6 0 6

I am having the same issue and have contacted support.

Raj R and Carly P have both told me Shopify does not offer the refunds they say go to USPS even though I told them the claims were denied, USPS clearly says to get it from Shopify. Can I get some help?

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Hi, @Ryan_Zellars!

Thanks for joining this thread, I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

I apologize for the miscommunication, it turns out there was some misunderstanding around handling shipping refunds in this scenario within our Support team. I can assure you that connecting with our 24/7 Support team directly is the next step in applying for a shipping refund for these situations.

For the most efficient support, please feel free to link this thread in your interaction.

Please let me know if there are further questions around this.

Warm regards,

Ryan_Zellars
Tourist
6 0 6

https://postalpro.usps.com/international-refunds

Says to have the service provider void the labels and they will be refunded. Seems like a very straight forward question. Is Shopify doing these refunds like the USPS link says, if not where do we go? The USPS has provided information, and so far the private service I have received from Shopify customer service says otherwise. International shipping for my three orders is several hundreds of dollars and I need to recover this.

Again, USPS has provided instructions, has Shopify?

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Thanks for your reply, @Ryan_Zellars.

Typically refunds are made through the postal service, in this case USPS. However, in this particular scenario you must go through Shopify to apply for a refund.

For further context this may have caused the misunderstanding within our Support team, which is why I recommend that you reference our forum thread when you reach out to the Support team. I can appreciate how frustrating it is to be advised otherwise when you do reach out, so please provide a direct link to this forum thread to your advisor.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Warm regards

cathynicholsart
Tourist
6 0 2

I have the exact issue. And USPS says we need to contact our 3rd party vendor: Shopify.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Hi, @cathynicholsart!

Thank you for joining our thread. Please refer to the accepted solution for next steps on assistance with a refund.

Warm regards,