Solved

What are the risks making production purchases with real CC and canceling for multiple attempts?

shane_reaume
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

I have been testing orders in production because I can't get a better end to end test in staging/test environments especially when using shopPay and PayPal for example. This is with a personal CC and I go in and cancel the order right away on the admin side. What are the potential repercussions doing this and/or is there a max amount this becomes an issue? Also, if any ideas on using the fake CCs for this - I just want to allow for multiple tests and not be concerned I will have my CC blocked or some other consequences I might not realize.

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @shane_reaume 

I would definitely stop using your own credit card, or a live credit card to test with on your store, unless you have a test payment gateway, or test mode enabled for your gateway. There are a few reasons why:

• Firstly, this could potentially create a flag for your merchant account and cause access to Shopify payment gateways to be revoked. Processing and refunding live orders back to back, to the same card, that has your name on it, is generally considered a security or high fraud risk.
  • Every live transaction has a processing fee that is not refunded. So you are losing money every time you refund the charge. 
  • Shopify provides a bogus gateway you can test with as well as a testing mode for Shopify Payments. If you are building something or don't want a series of test orders showing in your live store admin you can also use a development store (free to use and build with) to test transactions as well.

If for any reason these tools in place aren't working for you, please let me know what the blocker is and what you are attempting to test, and what the end result should be. This will help me find alternative options for you.

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @shane_reaume 

I would definitely stop using your own credit card, or a live credit card to test with on your store, unless you have a test payment gateway, or test mode enabled for your gateway. There are a few reasons why:

• Firstly, this could potentially create a flag for your merchant account and cause access to Shopify payment gateways to be revoked. Processing and refunding live orders back to back, to the same card, that has your name on it, is generally considered a security or high fraud risk.
  • Every live transaction has a processing fee that is not refunded. So you are losing money every time you refund the charge. 
  • Shopify provides a bogus gateway you can test with as well as a testing mode for Shopify Payments. If you are building something or don't want a series of test orders showing in your live store admin you can also use a development store (free to use and build with) to test transactions as well.

If for any reason these tools in place aren't working for you, please let me know what the blocker is and what you are attempting to test, and what the end result should be. This will help me find alternative options for you.

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

shane_reaume
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

Thank you Shay. I will spend more time on setting up the recommended. Just was finding myself in a pinch needing to validate a current issue with not much time at the moment to stage a better test environment.