FROM CACHE - en_header

What happened to Braintree?

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1023 84 266

We moved our Shopify site over to a new entity on myshopify.com. Previously we had plugged in Braintree as our payment gateway. When I tried to select them on the new site, they are no longer on the list.

So how can Braintree have worked on our old site if it isn't even available as a selection on our new site? This is a big deal, seeing that just implementing a new payment gateway isn't as easy as flipping a switch...

Replies 3 (3)
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2097 147 281

Hi there Greg!

Don here from Shopify!

Thanks for taking the time to post your query here on our merchant forums. 🙂

As of September 2016, Shopify no longer partners with Braintree for use on new stores.

Any stores already using Braintree will be able to continue to do so, though; as you have seen, it will not be possible to have this added to any new Shopify stores.

You can check out which gateways are available for use in your region in the new store in the settings > payments menu; though it will not be possible to activate Braintree as a gateway on the new store in any circumstance.

If you still have access to your previous store, you could consider the option of using that store moving forward if you feel that the use of Braintree is critical to your business.

You can also always reach out to us via our support site whenever you have any questions or if you'd like to get live support.

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mikeanderson
3 0 0

Hi Don,

Is Braintree now available to use as a payment gateway with Shopify? 

I noticed you mentioned Braintree was no longer an option but I see their name on the provider list in the alternative providers' section. 

Thank you,

Mike 

Gordon_Chan
Shopify Expert
22 0 10

You can use Braintree for Shopify store. They are re-selectable since Jan 2021.

You can use it for Credit Card transaction with 3DS as well as Apple Pay (need to enable Apple Pay in Braintree Settings > Processing as well)

While subscription / card vaulting those feature would not be available.

http://gordon-chan.net
I am a Freelance Web Engineer. Dedicated my life to e-commerce development.