Why is my shop overcharging for shipping?

babyfrog
Tourist
5 0 1

I noticed about 25% of my recent orders have been grossly overcharged for shipping. I can't figure out why; There doesn't seem to be a correlation between which products they buy or their location. I had to refund around $100 in shipping fees, and I'm sure the high shipping cost prevented a lot of people from placing orders in the first place. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Below is an example. The correct shipping cost for this order should be around $4-5.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 5.02.49 PM.png

Replies 9 (9)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 587

I've seen this happen for stores that have multiple locations set up - by default each location initiates a shipping charge.

I talked to Shopify support about it and they said you can't edit it, but you can contact them to manually change the setting so that shipping applies to the full order, rather than each location.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
babyfrog
Tourist
5 0 1

Hmm, I only have one location so that's probably not it.

Sharon-Reeds
Trailblazer
126 6 27

Hey @babyfrog,

As @JoesIdeas pointed out, this could be happening due to locations. Another common culprit is using Shopify's shipping profiles. If you use tiered shipping, they use the cart total to apply per profile, and not the profile total, it can cause unexpected (and inaccurate) shipping costs. 

How is your shipping configured? If you provide some screenshots of your shipping configuration, it's a lot easier to diagnose what is causing this.

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

babyfrog
Tourist
5 0 1

I have two shipping profiles, each applies to different items. Do you think it could be charging for both profiles? How would I go about fixing that? Or is there another problem I'm not seeing?

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 2.35.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 2.35.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 2.36.13 PM.png

Sharon-Reeds
Trailblazer
126 6 27

Hey @babyfrog,

The discrepancy may be due to having a weight-based tier on your second set of screenshots. Shopify takes the cart total to apply the shipping cost per profile, not the profile total so if there are products from more than 1 profile in the cart, it could be causing this to happen. I would try and remove the tier to see if this fixes anything. 

It may be a good idea to reach out to Shopify support so they can do a deeper dive into your store. Shipping has so many moving parts that it can be difficult to diagnose the problem without having access to your products, orders, locations, and shipping settings. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

babyfrog
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks, Sharon. I tried removing the weight restriction but am still having the same problem. I am going to reach out to support to see if they can help. 

jrn
Tourist
8 0 3

i see it once in a while: Shopify gives me no cheaper choice but a shipping with Insurance added to it.  I do not need any insurance for my packages. 
I've just paid over $8.06 for the package that is never over $4 due to "premium insurance" added to it.

How do i get a refund for extra shipping?

AlexCortright
Tourist
5 0 2

On multiple shipping profiles: IF you had a shipping calculation problem because of this, how would you fix it? 

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 95

Hi @AlexCortright 

To resolve the shipping calculation problem, the only available workaround would be to use an app as already mentioned by Shopify members. If you are open to use any such apps I would suggest you to take a look at Multi Carrier Shipping Label app to set up more specific shipping rules. 

Let me know if you have any queries regarding this. I will be happy to help!

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping