Solved

Why is Shopify offering FedEx Ground to all my customers?

MrM1990
Tourist
4 0 1

I have my FedEx account linked to my Shopify store however 98% of my customers are residential customers and yet FedEx ground is being offered to them (and they are using it)

So when I go to ship in Shipstation, I can only ship to them via Home Delivery which is a $2-$5 difference...

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Accepted Solution (1)

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 113

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MrM1990 

To make sure the 'Home Delivery" option is available, first of all you will have to activate the 'future services' checkbox in your FedEx shipping rates setup:

BobsMojo_0-1607368639413.png

For some reason, this is the only way Home Delivery will even appear at checkout. This will fix the issue most of the time. Regular FedEx Ground will still appear instead of Home Delivery, unfortunately, any time a customer enters any information in the 'Company Name' line of the shipping address form. In our store, we disabled the Company Name line in our checkout settings to further reduce the number of occurrences of people choosing regular FedEx Ground. Even then, it still won't be 100% eliminated, as any time a customer uses any of the Express Checkout options (Shop Pay, PayPal Express Checkout, etc.) and in their saved checkout data they have a company name (or any information where the company name would appear in the shipping address form) it will mark it as a commercial address and offer FedEx Ground.

Of all of the customers who go with FedEx shipping on our site, about 3-5% still get offered FedEx Ground who do not qualify, after we removed the company name line from the checkout shipping address form. We have been able to make adjustments to absorb the $2-$4 losses on these few orders and ship them with  Home Delivery.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 113

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MrM1990 

To make sure the 'Home Delivery" option is available, first of all you will have to activate the 'future services' checkbox in your FedEx shipping rates setup:

BobsMojo_0-1607368639413.png

For some reason, this is the only way Home Delivery will even appear at checkout. This will fix the issue most of the time. Regular FedEx Ground will still appear instead of Home Delivery, unfortunately, any time a customer enters any information in the 'Company Name' line of the shipping address form. In our store, we disabled the Company Name line in our checkout settings to further reduce the number of occurrences of people choosing regular FedEx Ground. Even then, it still won't be 100% eliminated, as any time a customer uses any of the Express Checkout options (Shop Pay, PayPal Express Checkout, etc.) and in their saved checkout data they have a company name (or any information where the company name would appear in the shipping address form) it will mark it as a commercial address and offer FedEx Ground.

Of all of the customers who go with FedEx shipping on our site, about 3-5% still get offered FedEx Ground who do not qualify, after we removed the company name line from the checkout shipping address form. We have been able to make adjustments to absorb the $2-$4 losses on these few orders and ship them with  Home Delivery.

MrM1990
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the elaborate response. I appreciate the insight here.

That really stinks, even if it is that little. I wanted to get our FedEx account showing some volume to attempt to get some better discounts but when I saw nearly 100 orders of Ground and realized the cost difference I was shocked. As far as I am aware almost no one fills in that company info box either. Maybe we need to disable it..not sure.

Thanks again,

Mike

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 113

Yes it does stink. Unfortunately, Shopify's checkout does not have commercial address verification, so the only way it makes a determination as to residential vs. commercial address is whether or not it detects any data in the company information field.

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi,

I know it's quite an old post but, still answering this as there has been no solution for this. I hope someone find this useful to classify the address as commercial/residential and display the right FedEx shipping method. 

As Bob has mentioned here, Shopify's checkout does not have commercial address verification. So the only way it makes a determination as to residential vs. commercial addresses is whether or not it detects any data in the company information field. 

As you know, FedEx Home Delivery is a dedicated shipping service that delivers to residential addresses and FedEx Ground is a service that delivers to commercial addresses. Applicable shipping service should be offered to the customer based on the shipping address entered during the checkout process, ie.
 - If the address is commercial/business, the FedEx Ground.
 - If it is a residential address, FedEx Home Delivery.

You can provide FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery at checkout based on the shipping address using our FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app. Since you are already having a FedEx account, you can configure your account with the app. The app uses the FedEx address validation API to classify the address as commercial or a residential address and automatically provide the FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery at Shopify checkout.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
taitery
Excursionist
13 0 4

Does the same principle apply for UPS?