Why am I charged for someone else's purchase?

lulahk
Visitor
3 0 0

why is my card being charged for an item somebody else bought? I basically paid the same amount as the customer maybe 45 cents less was taken from my account totaling the money spent on an 14$ keychain to well over 30$ i need help please.

Replies 3 (3)

Marty
Shopify Staff (Retired)
512 74 103

Hi @lulahk.

Thank you for your message, I would be happy to offer you some suggestions moving forward. 

My first request would be for some more information in regards to the order and your payment gateway, what payment gateway are you using with your store? Do you have your orders set up to be automatically captured, or are you manually capturing the payment of each order? 

It also sounds like you are running a dropshipping style business, would I be correct in assuming that? If so, what dropshipping platform are you using in connection with your Shopify account? If you are using a third-party platform for dropshipping, it may be best to reach out to that applications support directly to look into this with you.

Were you able to refund the order you made to yourself? If you are curious about how you would do that, we have a handy guide that should be able to help you out here. If you are able to refund the amount you paid, you could then create a Draft order to send to your customer again to capture the payment correctly. We also have a guide on Draft orders here, if you need to take a look.

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our Help center here and log in to your account to create a support request. Once you explain the situation to a support member, they will be able to access your account directly to take a closer look at the order. 

Please feel free to reach back out here directly as well, we are always happy to chat!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

lulahk
Visitor
3 0 0
Yes I am using the droppshipping method. I'm using importify, but it seems
like I couldn't fulfill the order unless I input credit card information
which ultimately charged my card basically more than the full amount. I
used basic shipping which was about 4$ and the product was a keychain, it
was 11$. The customer was charged 15.90$ and I was charged 13.09.
Marty
Shopify Staff (Retired)
512 74 103

Hi @lulahk.

Thank you for getting back to me with this clarification.

I must admit, I am not too familiar with Importify being a third-party application. However, for many dropshipping platforms, you would first need to purchase the product yourself from the supplier in order to offer it in your store for sale. For example, this is why many merchants would charge higher rates for dropshipped products, to make up the cost of the acquisition of the product from your supplier. If a baseball glove through your suppliers costs $10, you could charge $20 for the glove on your shop to cover that drop ship cost. Are you charging the same amount in your store that your supplier charges for the product?

What I would recommend doing is reaching out to Improtify support directly to look into this and confirm what exactly happened. I was reading through their How to fulfill orders page on their support site here, that does note:

You can also contact their support directly via this site:

Please let me know if you have any questions!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.