Add Order Number to POS Recipes

cdnmikes
Excursionist
23 0 9

Is there a way through liquid or API that we can add the order number to display on POS Printed Receipts?

It looks like there was a Shopify update that replaced the order number with a receipt number.

Our customers use the Order Number for returns so it would be great if they had that info on the receipt somewhere.

Replies 4 (4)
Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1593 196 356

Hey, @cdnmikes

A couple of years ago Shopify changed the display of the order number over to receipt numbers. This was done to improve the overall performance of checkouts. With that said, the receipt number will still link to the order number when searched in your Orders screen in the admin. 

For example, let's say you have order #1493. and the receipt printed out displays a receipt number of 10-1078. They can be found by searching the Admin or POS app. 

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

cdnmikes
Excursionist
23 0 9

Thanks @Dirk ,

The reason we would like to display the order number in the receipt is for returns.

We have a UI where customers enter the order number and their postal code to initiate a return through a web interface.

Because the order number is not on the receipt they are required to call customer service which creates additional work for the team.

It would be great if there were a feature or app to add that info back some way without affecting the checkout experience.

olukairetail
1 0 1

Hi @Dirk,

We are encountering the same issue as @cdnmikes.  There's no problem when processing a return in store at the POS, but when using our ecom UI, the order number is required.   Is there a way to add order numbers back on to our printed receipts to replace the receipt number? 

Thanks!

Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1593 196 356

Hi, @olukairetail 

At this time, it would not be possible to reintroduce the order numbers back into the POS receipts. I would be happy to pass this feedback up to our development team on your behalf.

In the meantime, have you checked with the developer of your returns app to see if their app has a way to pull up orders via the receipt number? In our Shopify orders admin, entering the receipt number will populate the appropriate order (and its order number) at the end of the search.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog