Any advice for setting up two new iPads for two new POS stations in the same retail location?

mattatchange
Visitor
2 0 0

I have purchased two Shopify Retail Custom Kit 10.2"/Air 10.5" and two 10.2-inch iPads (Wi-Fi 32GB). My intention is to have 2 "cash registers" where people can check out at two different places inside of my store. (We're a skateboard shop and café, so we'll have one POS system at the counter where you order food, and one POS system in the retail skateboard shop area.)

I'd like to think that we'll be able to have both POS systems logged into our one single store (www.changetupelo.com). But this brings up some questions for setting up the new iPads for this purpose. If any of you have done this before, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Did you set the iPads up as new iPads, each with their own new Apple ID? Or did you give each iPad its own new Apple ID? 

Did you disable certain apps, (iMessage, News, etc.) so that the operation of the iPad is fairly streamlined just for Shopify POS?    

Any other advice on setting up the iPads for this particular application?

TYIA for your feedback! 

- Matt

Replies 4 (4)

Roostcollection
Pathfinder
97 1 91

We set the iPads up as out of the box. We removed many of the apps not needed so employees don't turn something on using memory. Close the Shopify app daily and logout and of shopify and restart weekly. This dumps the cache left in the iPad from transaction.

The big one that we found with the new system is the receipt printers. Shopify advised us on purchasing the WiFi Hotspot printer. While it is working it does just fine. The problem is if it becomes disconnected to the router it is a pain to reconnect. Can take hours. The steps are not correct with the directions to do so.

Our second printer is the Lan based model. Direct Ethernet line. Plug in and it works, Never goes down.

Card readers. We have both Tap & Chip, Swipe (white).

Tap &  Chip disconnects once daily. In 8 months we are now on our 5th replacement due to lock up. Red lights flashing on either side. Shopify replaces them but while they take time to ship your stuck doing manual card entry. (cost more to process & time)

Swipe reader works fairly well. Comes disconnected once in a while.

Be sure to turn off your dual band wifi if you are set up that way. Keep the 5g on and 2.4 ghz off. Bluetooth runs near the 2.4 ghz.

My opinion the bluetooth sucks. Either way you look at the readers you have to have a cord attached. Either to charge or data. Data will never go out.

mattatchange
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks! All very good advice. I did go with the wired printers for fear of what you experienced. 

Do you remember whether you set up each iPad with its own Apple ID, or did you use the same one on them both?  

Roostcollection
Pathfinder
97 1 91

Each iPad has the same ID. If I understand. We have one apple account and ran both through that.

Now our big problem is our swipe readers (white) constantly fall asleep. Have to forget reader and re-add to connect. Open for 5hrs, 87 transactions that every 3.5 min average.

TailorBoutique
Visitor
1 0 1

How do you setup multiple registers in the same location? Since i have one ipad logged in the others won’t let me into the app. I need 3 iPads for the same location