Any app to select customer with barcode?

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
70 1 33

Hi All, I am looking to include this as a feature in one of our apps on POS. When you are saying physical cards, this would have some sort of barcode or QR code on it, correct? I also assume that this field would be something that was random and not printed once the customer was registered? Here is how I see the flow of this, please let me know if it sounds correct.

1. You as a merchant have physical cards with random barcodes/qr codes or an NFC chip on them.
  2. You register a card to a customer account in Shopify
  3. When they come into your physical space, you would scan this with an app on POS, allowing you to add them as the customer on that cart or simply see their customer details. 

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
tvue0228
1 0 0

Yes, exactly. I'm still new and just started my brick and mortar store. I'm also looking for this feature.

1. You as a merchant have physical cards with random barcodes/qr codes or an NFC chip on them.
    1. Shopify already sells custom Giftcards. Wondering if we can double dip and have them act as loyalty cards. I haven't bought any yet but I assume they either come with barcode or magstripe. Preferably barcode so that we can scan just like a product. As long as a reader can take that information and associate it with the customer that would be awesome. 
  2. You register a card to a customer account in Shopify
    1. I envision a field similar to a product's barcode field should help solve this.
  3. When they come into your physical space, you would scan this with an app on POS, allowing you to add them as the customer on that cart or simply see their customer details. 
    1. Really hope that the integration is seamless with Shopify POS. Scanning the barcodewill look up the customer and add the customer to the transaction just like adding a product.

Looking at earlier post, it looks like someone is already able to do this by just adding the barcode info to the last name of the customer. So I don't see why we can't just have a barcode field for a customer.

0 Likes
fbahemia
6 0 0

: Yes that's correct and i would even say if the customer can have an app on his/her phone, that we can scan the barcode, so as not to give plastic (eco friendly). And the App may have other use for the customer too.

0 Likes
katiefinn
Tourist
6 0 1

Yes, we are hoping they can be used as membership cards so we can identify who is a wine club member vs. regular customer. We would scan the card and their information would come up on the POS. 
It would also be very beneficial to load expiration dates on the cards so we can track when their membership is set to expire. 

0 Likes
katiefinn
Tourist
6 0 1

I thought this would be an ideal solution as well… I spoke to Shopify support and we concluded that the only way to make this work is to enter your customers as products. Even then, it doesn’t allow for their info to come up on the POS. 
Not a valid solution for what we’re looking for. 

0 Likes
Galmis
3 0 0

Hi all, I've been looking at this issue for a few days. Based on my understanding, an app like this could work, but only with a mobile device's camera and not a physical bluetooth barcode scanner (at least not without exploiting some unintuitive workarounds such as having dummy products linked with every customer). Unfortunately, Shopify doesn't seem to provide programmatic access to bluetooth barcode scanner events https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/App-Bridge-Scanner-Capture-Action-with-Bluetooth-B....

I appreciate this is probably suboptimal, but would this caveat be a deal-breaker for potential users? Cheers.

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
70 1 33

Hi all, thank you for the use cases and details, all very helpful. I've added this to our internal list of feature requests. 

0 Likes
davidosbon1
1 0 0

Max

has any of the items in this thread been added?  seems like the thread died out and i am interested in this as well - i have the same issues that everyone else notated.

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
70 1 33

@davidosbon1 We have not had a chance to add in these features yet, but it is on our radar so should be adding things later this fall and winter.

0 Likes