Bluetooth Devices Constantly Disconnect

FuzzyAlex
Visitor
2 0 1

I am so close to dumping Shopify POS over its constant connective issues with peripheral devices (Chipper card reader and Socket S700 barcode scanner, specifically). At least once every three days, one of these devices is simply forgotten by the POS. This requires our staff to usually restart the iPad, “forget” the device from the system’s Bluetooth, and re-pair it through the POS app as if it were a new device. I can’t begin to tell you how frustrating this is, especially when customer’s are (impatiently) waiting with their card to make a purchase. It’s so bad that we have opened a Square account just to take payments when this happens. Of course this requires manually entering the sale later as “cash” to keep inventory correct… but this throws off the accounting since it isn’t really a cash sale. 

Before you ask: yes, the iPad is up to date (we’ve purchased new iPads in hopes of resolving the issues). The POS app is updated regularly. 

If this isn’t resolved, I can’t imagine any solution other than finding another provider. 

Replies 9 (9)

Nick82
Tourist
7 0 3

You aren't alone.  I've recently moved from another Epos I used for 7 years.  Bought all new hardware supported by Shopify POS and am in disbelief at how unreliable it is. 

The card machine struggles to connect every couple of days.  At least a few times a day then barcode scanner beeps but nothing appears in the basket.  Only fixed by restarting the app.  Like you the POS software forgets the scanner or card machine every so often.  

But our main problem is the receipt printer.  It doesn't matter if it is on WiFi, Bluetooth or wired in.  It forgets it every hour or so, and even when it's listed and connected it can take ten minutes to print a receipt and open the cash drawer.  It's embarrassing and definitely an app problem - I can print a test receipt within a second under settings.  But nothing happens for some time from orders.  I've paid a technician to look and compile technical logs and reports.  Which Shopify promised to investigate within hours.  That was a week ago and nothing.  

This system could be great but it's clearly been designed by people who have never worked in a busy retail environment.

I don't have any particular suggestions to you, it'd be nice if Shopify addressed what's going on here.

Loshen
Visitor
2 0 0

Me too, same issues and Shopify is not getting back to us either.

Have you found a solution ?

FuzzyAlex
Visitor
2 0 1

Nope. As you will notice, no replies to this thread either. They know it’s an issue and can’t resolve it — my guess. If so, create a USB/LAN device and give credit to existing users of Bluetooth devices toward the new ones. 

Cpointpond
Excursionist
17 0 20

I am experiencing the same thing.  You are not alone.  I am in my offseason and have yet to help a customer the way the system is supposed to work.  I ended up using the app on my phone and entering in the cc.  Looking forward to the customer lines, but very concerned.

Sewinasylum
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in this constant struggle. It's like wack a mole. It used to be either the card reader or the scanner- now the receipt printer has joined the fray. And we have a new and updated iPad. 

SundaysBestDays
Visitor
2 0 0

We are having the same issues. I switched the receipt printer to ethernet. But the chip reader and SOCKET scanner keep disconnecting. Shopify fix this asap!! It seems like Bluetooth is not working reliably at all. 

Nick82
Tourist
7 0 3

And still no reply from Shopify.  It has been over a month since submitting all the error logs etc, and being promised a reply within a few hours.  No one listens, no one does anything, they really don't care.

ddogs24
Visitor
1 0 0

Is there any update from @Shopify on this? Seems like a growing problem for a lot of us!

BowsBreauxsKIds
Visitor
1 0 0

We are dealing with this also! It seems the receipt printer quits at 4PM every day no matter if you just printed on it 10 minutes prior or haven't printed all day. The POS app will show it is connected but nothing when you complete a transaction. It is so embarrassing and frustrating! If the tap and chip card reader goes to sleep, the only way to reconnect is to completely turn off the tablet and restart. Grrrr, again very frustrating and embarrassing. No help from Shopify at all.