Can Shopify POS accommodate charge accounts (net 30)?

Vickk725
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi I am using a trial right now. Testing the pos out before I make my decision. We are currently not interested in ecommerce, only pos. However we have many customers that are charge accounts (net 30) and I dont see that feature anywhere even the app store had nothing.  That is the only thing stopping me from moving my business over. Please advise. 

Replies 29 (29)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Vickk725,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Would you be able to define and elaborate exactly what you mean by charge accounts, please? I have an idea of what you mean but want to be 100% sure we are thinking about the same thing. 

The closest thing I'm thinking there would be in the Shopify App store would be the partial payments apps. You can see some of the top partial payment apps from the app store below:

Another app I came across which could be a potential solution or workaround is the Customer Account Page + More app. The reason I think this might be helpful is that they mention in the app description about having credit accounts for customers/members. 

Hopefully one of the apps above is useful and points you in the right direction for the next step. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Vickk725
Tourist
6 0 3

Screenshot_20190807-001052_Samsung Internet.jpg

Vickk725
Tourist
6 0 3

so i would want to be using the ipad shopify pos app. if you see the screenshot i want that button to show up on that payment menu "charge account" so i can see what my credit accounts owe me than send them a monthly statement at the end of the month... like if you check the pos VENDHQ,, they have that feature.. please inform

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

Our business has three different "account" types:

• Customer deposits - e.g. from a layaway or special order.
  • Customer "money held" - e.g. a customer's refunded item get placed as a store credit to be used later.
  • Customer in-house charge accounts - e.g. a high priority customer purchases items and pays for them at a later time.

In the case of the first account type, the Shopify POS operator can just handle partial payments. The case of the second and third account types, the Store Credit payment type can be used. Since Shopify POS doesn't really check the back-end balance. Meaning a customer can pay with Store Credit even if they don't have any positive balance. This would be the equivalent of an in-house charge.

We have to utilize the Shopify POS API in order to report out these balances, a positive balance meaning the customer has a deposit or money held, and a negative balance meaning the customer owes us in-house charges. 

Vickk725
Tourist
6 0 3

i am not to clear what you mean greg by option 3 is what we are looking for so how do we go about that 

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

If you test out the Store Credit payment type, I believe you will find that it is allowed even if the customer doesn't have a positive balance. Say I'm a new customer who has never transacted before. I don't have any balance for partial payment, refunded items, etc. But I can purchase something and the Shopify POS operator can select Store Credit as the payment type to pay for an item in full. If the item costs $500 then I essentially have an in-house charge balance of $500 that I owe the retailer.

We never found an area in Shopify POS that actually accumulates these balances or reports out on them. So I created some routines using the Shopify POS API that capture daily activity, and this daily activity is piped out to supplementary SQL Server database tables I have locally. That is my report source that plugs this significant gap in Shopify POS that we discovered.

Vickk725
Tourist
6 0 3

so its possible to do or no? not to clear sorry 

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

Yes, and I specified exactly how I did it. Use Store Credit for all three transaction types, exporting the results to my own supplementary database tables using the Shopify POS API. If you don't have the resources to dig into the API then perhaps see if there are Shopify POS apps that provide similar functionality.

bnbdesignsal
Visitor
1 0 0

How do you apply payments to the customer so the negative Store Credit amount is brought back to $0 and shows your customer as paid?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @bnbdesignsal,

You can show a payment for a customer with store credit/ gift card via POS by following the steps below:

1. From Shopify POS, tap Store > Payment types.

2. Tap Gift Card.

3. Tap the toggle buttons to activate one or both of the following options:

• gift cards that you can print and email to customers
    • physical gift cards (you'll need to order a supply of these if you haven't already)

Shopify has a guide for this going through the details step by step which you can read here

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

asjsimmons
Tourist
4 0 2

I am trying to use the same feature. I am trying to follow your workaround but I do not see that option at checkout. The store credit option. 

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

@asjsimmons In the shop settings you just create this as a new custom manual payment method --> https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/manual-payments. In our case of testing out Shopify POS, I filter daily activity of this payment type that appear in my API export. I infer a sale against this payment type as a custom in-store credit account purchase. And I infer a refund to this payment type as "money held" that a customer can use for future purchases.

asjsimmons
Tourist
4 0 2
OK, I added them as directed...but they only showed up in my online
checkout. I am in need of these options for in-store checkout. I need to be
able to charge to account on my point of sale.
Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

You can enable it in Shopify POS as well. Refer to this for details --> https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-in-person/pos-classic/payment-methods

ShawnBouchard
Pathfinder
93 1 88

It doesnt make sense to use shopify POS for your retail if you have no interest in ecommerce. 

5 year e-commerce, 11 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

Agreed. We are testing out Shopify POS, since we already use the Shopify e-com platform, and have API access to our back-end ERP system for managing inventory and customers. If we didn't use the Shopify e-com platform I don't think we'd be as serious about the POS piece.

ShawnBouchard
Pathfinder
93 1 88

Without ecomm, using a free POS service makes more sense. Square comes to mind

5 year e-commerce, 11 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
Vickk725
Tourist
6 0 3

the point is to setup the pos first than ecommerce after...otherwise i would just use any pos...

Walter_hank
Visitor
1 0 0

i am not to clear what you mean greg by option 3 is what we are looking for so how do we go about that

social media platform growth

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

In our case I export out all of the details through API, port them to a local SQL database, and then report off of them that way. I didn't find any out-of-the-box app plug-in to install that would meet our requirements. So it's all in-house development, homegrown out of necessity.

Willtlevy
Tourist
3 0 1

We are trying to put all of our stores on Shopify ASAP, but we do offer in-house charge accounts. There is a company called Invoiced that needs an API with Shopify in order for the charge account to function properly. Is there someone who could build this integration for us quickly. We need something to happen very quickly. Shopify just needs to check invoices to make sure the customer has room to charge so they are not over their credit limit. Thanks, Will

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

If you'd like to PM me I would possibly be available. Thanks!

Willtlevy
Tourist
3 0 1

I am struggling with the pm. Can you send us an email at will@oakhall.com and greg@oakhall.com

Gregarican
Shopify Partner
1033 86 285

Sure thing!

ZainManji
Shopify Partner
58 0 55

Hey there! This charge on account need was an important feature for merchants, especially those that want to use POS so we built an app to solve for this. We just launched an app on the app store to handle this functionality. The app gives merchants the ability to allow customers to purchase products on account and pay later within POS. It lets you have customers with an account so you can charge items to it and allow them to pay later. It also integrates with Quickbooks!

App link: https://apps.shopify.com/credit-charge-account-on-pos

Complete guide/walkthrough: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B2s6c3vDMzQDbFOQTO6J-fHJAfXOrx2WuoUFMYWpCrw/edit

PremierAg
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello!  We are transferring from Intuit POS to Shopify POS and the lack of being able to use in-house accounts was concerning so thank you for creating an app!  Does it integrate with both Quickbooks Desktop and Quickbooks Online?

Thank you

PremierAg
Visitor
3 0 0

Never mind...I found the answer on your app, it does.

Jackson_McLean
Excursionist
19 0 12

Did you add the ability to print receipts at the time of sale? I saw in another thread that this was missing. I'm hoping to switch our company back to Shopify POS from Lightspeed, but we need the charge accounts to be handled just as smoothly.

PremierAg
Visitor
3 0 0

I have not switched over to Shopify POS and ecommerce yet....it is not as seamless as our current POS which unfortunately, is not supported now.