Does the chip and swipe reader need wifi or is bluetooth enough?

sgtkrav264
Visitor
3 0 0

I've never used the chip and swipe reader before. We are getting ready for a pop up. Do I need wifi for chip reader to work or will it keep working with just bluetooth? Also has anyone tried using the POS system with Android devices instead of Apple?

Replies 3 (3)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

Hi, @sgtkrav264!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I'm glad to hear that you're about to use the Chip & Swipe reader for some a pop-up!

The card reader connects to your device via Bluetooth, rather than WiFi. You can find steps on how to pair your card reader with your mobile device here. We also have a full list of requirements for the Chip & Swipe reader that I suggest checking out.

Keep in mind that while WiFi is not required to pair the card reader, you will need a secure internet connection (WiFi or cellular data) in order to use the Shopify POS app and process in-person transactions. 

As for your device type, if you're using an Android device, then you can use Shopify POS Classic. We have instructions on how to get started with the Shopify POS Classic app that will walk you through the setup process. However, if you have an Apple device, then you can take advantage of the new Shopify POS app. The new Shopify POS app is an upgrade of the Shopify POS Classic app and offers a refreshed and some new features. You can learn more about the differences between both POS app version here.

Once you've setup your POS app and have paired your card reader, it's strongly recommended that you place a test transaction before your pop-up event. This will help you ensure that your card reader is paired successfully and that you understand the transaction process. Testing this out before your event can definitely help you avoid any hiccups on the big day! 

Before your event, I also recommend checking out our blog post, "Pop-Up Shops 101: Everything You Need to Know to Try Temporary Retail". This blog post is a great resource for those who are new to selling at pop-up events and provides some excellent pointers on how to ensure your pop-up event is successful.

I hope this helps clear things up. If you have any further questions, just let me know. Otherwise, best of luck at your pop-up! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Poniestopearls
Visitor
2 0 0

My chip and swipe reader stopped pairing to the app. I have used it for years and all the sudden it won't work. 

It shows on my android that it is paired, but the shopify pos app cannot locate the card reader. This leads me to believe it is an app or card reader issue. 

Troubleshooting suggestions? I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled. Still not working. 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

Hey, @Poniestopearls!

I appreciate you sharing the troubleshooting steps you've attempted with y our Chip & Swipe reader. Have you had a chance to run through the rest of our recommended troubleshooting steps

Most importantly, are you seeing the card reader in the Hardware section of your Shopify POS app settings? If not, are there any other devices visible there? If you also have the Tap, Chip, and Swipe card reader, then you'll need to unpair that particular device, as it's likely interfering with the connection of your Chip & Swipe reader. 

If you don't see your card reader in the Hardware section, then you should instead see a prompt to connect a device. Have you tried connecting the Chip & Swipe reader there, directly within the POS app? What happens when you try doing so? 

It's also important to ensure that your device is up to date. To successfully pair with the Chip & Swipe reader, you must be using:

• iOS 11 or higher
  • Android OS 5.0 or higher
  • Bluetooth version 4.0 or higher

If your device meets the above requirements, and if you aren't able to connect your card reader under the Hardware section of your POS app settings, then you'll want to reach out to Support directly for further assistance. We actually have a team dedicated to troubleshooting retail hardware and you can get in touch directly through your POS app, under Store > Support

I hope this helps! Let me know how that goes.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog