Does anyone use Square POS for in-store and shopify for online?

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

The new shopify POS is not useable at the lite version and definitely not worth paying $90 to get exchanges activated on a system that is poorly designed.  I have complained to support so much that they told me to just leave shopify if I am not happy (great customer care right?).  Building a new squarespace site will take some time and effort, but I can't stand to use this POS one more day. 

I am hoping to use a square system for my in-store POS and have it connect to my shopify e-commerce store.  I have been researching and trying things out for the last hour or so and was hoping to find someone here who uses that same set up.

Replies 16 (16)

Zenzen
Visitor
2 0 1

What exactly do you need them to connect? Do you need to sync inventory, customers, anything else? More than likely you will need an omnichannel management software to act as the go-between to get your inventory to sync. There are multiple vendors that offer this service, but that will only add another monthly cost to your operations, which it sounds like you are trying to avoid.

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

Great! I will look into that.  I am 100% fine paying extra money for things, I have many add on apps already.  What I am not okay with is being forced to use a POS system that is one of the worst digital products I have ever seen, and then being forced to pay an a fee that is way out of line with its features and quality. 

Blissdou
Tourist
8 0 2

For almost a year we used Square POS while using Shopify for online orders. We moved from Square to the Shopify POS but it was not great. It would require multiple restarts and a lot of the time, we just couldn't accept payments. We ended up getting rid of Shopify POS and paying the $1,500 to switch to Moneris that has Shopify integration. These terminals are amazing and haven't gone down or had a single problem in six months.

The big issue we are dealing with now is that Shopify has rolled out a new POS version that doesn't support Moneris. We're now trapped in this limo where we can't upgrade our system yet it won't stop asking us. I also have a feeling that we will no longer have access to new features that roll out. Shopify is a weird company where they will roll out a lot of huge features no one seems to ask for, yet leave behind basic functionality (can't merge customer profiles, can't use Moneris systems on a new POS version, etc.)

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

Consider yourself lucky!!! The new pos is total shit, I’d pay money to be able to stay on the classic version.  It’s been months and no changes have been made to improve the new pos. Customers services said we are stuck with what they give us and to stop complaining. 

Steve123
Excursionist
21 0 51

Thats why we have moved everything to square now - trialled it for two months and works like a dream for us.

Time to close our Shopify account now.

End of Retail rip off.

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

Congratulations!!! Did you switch your website over as well?  

How was the transition?  I am mostly worried about losing all the reporting and data I have built up over the last 6 years.  

Still mind boggling that I went from a raving fan of shopify to hater because the POS is that bad, and the company doesnt give a crap.... Crazy.

Steve123
Excursionist
21 0 51

I was the same - I used to recommend Shopify - but not anymore.

Yes, we moved the website over too. And - we don't have to have an upgraded plan for the privilege of connecting it to an app and hardware. That alone saves us money.

In fact, we now get a retail pos that has more functions and reports than Pro did and the website for about the same price we used to pay Shopify for the website and classic. 

We exported all the data we needed from Shopify before closing the store.

We kept Shopify open for a couple of months in case we needed to revert back - but have now moved everything across.

Square will help migrate at a cost - not sure how much it is as we did it ourselves during lockdown. I think if you are in the UK, that during the period of lockdown they are offering this service for free. But you would need to check with them on that.

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

@Steve123 Awesome! Thanks for the info.  Sounds like square actually cares about their customers,  must be a refreshing change after dealing with shopify.

Willoworchid
Excursionist
14 0 28

That is exactly the situation we are in and Shopify doesn't care.  We switched our online and brick and mortar store last year.  It was a considerable investment in time, money, and training, that is pretty much out the window now.  Less than a year into it and now we have to go through all of it again!!!!  Shopify stepped into the brick and mortar market however it is clear they have no desire to support it.

Willoworchid
Excursionist
14 0 28

We are in the exact situation and we have now been advised that Moneris integration will end on April 30.  We have been back and forth with them probably 10 times.  They really don't care.  They are determined to do away with Moneris so they can collect the processing fees.  I am okay with that as long as they provide me with an alternative that is equally effective.  They are pushing their hardware however using their hardware will require customers to enter their PIN details on our Ipad POS.  We pointed out that is a COVID world we don't want anyone but our staff touching our IPAD..not to mention that we have plexiglass barriers between our staff and customers making it impossible for the customer to get to the IPAD even if we allowed it.  Their response "We understand every change means a learning curve and know that we have made these decisions with our merchants feedback and best interests in mind.  

even I am not sure what feedback they are referring to as I don't recall being asked about this change.  This is a very serious degradation in the service we signed up for.

Blissdou
Tourist
8 0 2

This is the first time I'm hearing about them ending support for Moneris. You can even find info still listed on their website promoting Moneris integration in Canada. Do you have a post from Shopify talking about April 30th being the end?

Willoworchid
Excursionist
14 0 28
We first found it in the information about the All New POS and we inquired
with Shopify. They confirmed it was happening. We then got the email
today. I did speak with someone from Shopify who says he understands the
issue however I am not sure it is going to make a difference. I really
don't believe for one minute that anyone in Shopify understands how this
will impact brick and mortar stores. When I walked him through how their
new system will work from a practical perspective I think he got it.....but
can he do anything about it?
Blissdou
Tourist
8 0 2

I just checked and we also got the email today. Honestly, I'm not surprised anymore with how poor Shopify is being run. They attract new customers by talking about how they support small business but once they have you, they nickle and dime you to death. The fact that they recommended Moneris to us as a solution less than a year ago just to do this is scummy. The sad thing is that we only process around a million dollars through their system a year so they won't even care if we leave. Support couldn't care less.

jehnlee33
Visitor
3 0 0

I read everything you suggested and added/upgraded all that I may want to. I definitely remade the website and might be very happy in case you checked it out and permit me recognise how does it appearance now as you can check. I didn't even expect to get such a lot of answeres and thank you all once more.

Discoverytrek
Excursionist
21 0 18

We signed up and after doing a few test sales we realized that Shopify will not allow you to sell in decimals or partial units. They had no solution for us and we are not able to use Shopify POS, however they refuse to credit us even though we were never able to use it. It cost us over a thousand dollars for the subscription and hundreds more for the equipment. They said we should have read the fine print before agreeing to the subscription. I am disgusted with Shopify POS and can't believe they wouldn't even credit our account towards our online store subscription. Beware and test thoroughly before agreeing to a yearly subscription.

We tried to use Square because it did allow for decimal quantities, but they only allow for 250 color variations and we have over 1500. So Square won't work for us either. Now we are left with neither Square or Shopify for our POS and a huge bill for a subscription and equipment that we can't use. Shopify is a terrible company that has no interest in meeting the needs of their customers and I wish I knew more before I spent months building a website. 

If anyone has any suggestions about a POS that will work to sell in decimals, without duplicating my inventory please let me know.

martinduch
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

If you are still looking to connect your Square POS with Shopify website, I request you to try the SKUplugs Square and Shopify integration service. You can sync your product and order between both platforms. For more details please visit :

https://skuplugs.com/square-shopify-integration/

Thank you