Enable Online Orders Only Push Notifications

KurtisSpade
Tourist
5 0 14

We really need to expedite the option to set up push notification for online order only, excluding POS transactions. In additions is there a way to add a number annotation to the "Local Pickup" Tile is the Shopify POS? I would really like a convenient way to alerted of online sales without the annoyance of getting a notification for every POS sale. Any options right now? 

Thanks

Replies 18 (18)

AndySweet
Visitor
2 0 1

Kurt,

Did you find a resolution to this, we are needing the same functionality.

Thanks

shoploulous
Tourist
7 0 5

I’ve also requested this from Shopify but have not found a resolution!! 

PurpleButterfly
Visitor
2 0 0

I just switched to Shopify and agree the alerts to POS sales are annoying. We do 30+ sales in our POS. Discouraging that this request is three years old. 

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

A quick way to know if an order is an online order OR a POS order that requires shipping is to add the following code to your staff's order notifications in the notifications editor.

You can then use your favourite email program to filter out these emails and then have a workflow process for online orders.

{% if fulfillment.requires_shipping %}
    <br><STRONG>-- REQUIRES SHIPPING --</STRONG>
    <br>Fulfillment Status: {{order.fulfillment_status}}
  {% endif %}

Shopify Partner, software developer and designer.
rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

A quick way to know if an order is an online order OR a POS order that requires shipping is to add the following code to your staff's order notifications in the notifications editor. This is actually already on most notifications, but it is at the bottom.  

You can then use your favourite email program to filter out these emails and then have a workflow process for online orders.

Here's the code:

{% if requires_shipping and shipping_address %}
      {% if shipping_methods.first %}
                  <br>
                  <table class="row">
                    <tr>
                      <td class="customer-info__item customer-info__item--last">
                        <strong>Delivery method: </strong>
                        {% for shipping_method in shipping_methods %}
                        {{ shipping_method.title }}
                        {% endfor %}
                      </td>
                    </tr>
                  </table>
       {% endif %}
   {% endif %}

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

Ignore that,  Not sure why I can't delete or edit it.  Use the next example.

PurpleButterfly
Visitor
2 0 0

I’m talking about push alerts via the app to my phone. 

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

That's different than the email notifications.

Cell phone notifications might be dependant upon the operating system, but I do know that they can be turned on and off on an Android phone for each Shopify store you manage.  The notification settings for the Shopify app are in the settings for the phone.

You can also turn them off I the settings for Shopify which may be different as well.

NOMADCT
10 0 0

I love this idea. Since we get a lot of local pickups too, is there a code line that we can add to trigger a footer to state Local Pickup as well? I'm having an issue isolating notifications. We need to get notice of an online order or in-store pickup so we can pull the products. Right now, we do a ton of in-store business and we just get flooded with new sale notifications. It's incredible that Shopify hasn't created a fully customizable notification module.

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58
I ended up setting up a Flow automation and it's working well.

Ron
NOMADCT
10 0 0

Can you be more specific? I haven’t explored flows yet. 

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

Flow is a free Shopify app for creating automations on your store.  I use it for automating many of my client's workflows on Shopify.

In this example case, I use it to trigger an email to an administrator any time an online order is placed.  This client is primarily a brick-and-mortar store, and they need to be notified when an online order comes in.

Here's a screenshot of the workflow I set up for this use case:

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 2.55.09 PM.jpg

NOMADCT
10 0 0

Flows is a great tool and wish I had discovered earlier. I will create your flow and see if it works. thanks for the help. Saved me a lot of trouble. 

NOMADCT
10 0 0

Any insight as to how I would add the order summary in the body of the internal email? I can’t seem to find the right code so that it presents the order contents and quantities in the body of the email notification. You have been super helpful so far  

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

At the end of the automation, you can edit the email and select the blue link "Add a variable" to add information to the email as needed.

Most likely you will want to add the code for the Fulfillments.  If you do a search in the variables for Fulfillments you will get a bunch of different variables you can use, as well as the quantities to fulfill.

For example, you can add the order number like this:

Order: {{order.name}}

Here is an example that will list the line items of the order:

{% for fulfillments_item in order.fulfillments %}
  {% for fulfillmentLineItems_item in fulfillments_item.fulfillmentLineItems %}
  {{fulfillmentLineItems_item.lineItem.name}}
{% endfor %}
{% endfor %}

This may or may not be exactly what you are looking for, but you can experiment with almost any aspect of an order and present it in the email.

NOMADCT
10 0 0

Super helpful. Is there a good location for a list of the liquid coding used in shopify or should I just google it or search shopify community? 

NOMADCT
10 0 0

I ended up reaching out to support. The code you presented only worked for the order number portion. None of the code below retrieved information. This in theory seems great, but I feel it's pretty buggy. Thoughts? Any further suggestions? 

rmanke
Shopify Partner
179 0 58

I didn't test the example I gave you, because it might take some research to find the exact code for your use case.

Did they give you the code to match your use case?

All of the documentation for the available variables for Flow appear in the app, but there are literally hundreds of possible options and you will have to locate the one that accomplishes your goals.