Solved

Can you manually input prices for non-inventory items in Shopify POS?

ColtsOffice
Tourist
3 0 0

Is there a way to enter the price for a non-inventory product in POS when you're there with the customer?

Here's our situation: We have an souvenir stand that travels around the country in the summer. We're just starting using POS this year for the first time. We have racks of discontinued and slightly damaged pieces of apparel that I'd like to sell at "price as marked" but I don't want to bother putting them into inventory.

What are some good ways to handle a situation like this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Accepted Solutions (2)

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @ColtsOffice!

This is Summer from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify Community!

If you want to transact an order on the Point of Sale app for a product that's not in your inventory, the best way to do it is to make a custom sale. This method gives you the ability to add a product with a custom price and title to the cart without needing to add the product to your Shopify admin beforehand. You may follow the steps below to make a custom sale.

1. On your Shopify POS homepage, click Add custom sale
  2. Type in the Title and Price. You may also adjust the quantity and set this product to charge taxes or not.
  3. Tap Add to cart to add this custom product to the cart.

After doing these steps, you may then tap Checkout and select the customer's payment method to complete the sale. If you have questions about this process, don't hesitate to let me know by responding to this post.

Good call selling these discontinued products and earning profit from them, rather than keeping the products as dead stock and missing out on profits. If you're looking for guaranteed ways to get rid of old stock, I recommend looking at strategies outside of just simply hanging them on your racks. That can work but there are a lot of beneficial ideas that will help you quickly make space for new inventory, such as giveaways or markdown pricing. If you're interested, feel free to go over this blog post as it goes into these ideas in-depth and helps you earn profit from old stock in no time.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

That's awesome! Glad it's working great, @ColtsOffice. If you have any other questions about the POS or need help with your store, don't hesitate to post on Shopify Community again! 

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

Hey, @ColtsOffice!

This is Summer from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify Community!

If you want to transact an order on the Point of Sale app for a product that's not in your inventory, the best way to do it is to make a custom sale. This method gives you the ability to add a product with a custom price and title to the cart without needing to add the product to your Shopify admin beforehand. You may follow the steps below to make a custom sale.

1. On your Shopify POS homepage, click Add custom sale
  2. Type in the Title and Price. You may also adjust the quantity and set this product to charge taxes or not.
  3. Tap Add to cart to add this custom product to the cart.

After doing these steps, you may then tap Checkout and select the customer's payment method to complete the sale. If you have questions about this process, don't hesitate to let me know by responding to this post.

Good call selling these discontinued products and earning profit from them, rather than keeping the products as dead stock and missing out on profits. If you're looking for guaranteed ways to get rid of old stock, I recommend looking at strategies outside of just simply hanging them on your racks. That can work but there are a lot of beneficial ideas that will help you quickly make space for new inventory, such as giveaways or markdown pricing. If you're interested, feel free to go over this blog post as it goes into these ideas in-depth and helps you earn profit from old stock in no time.

ColtsOffice
Tourist
3 0 0

Thanks, Summer! We've been using this solution and it's working great!

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

That's awesome! Glad it's working great, @ColtsOffice. If you have any other questions about the POS or need help with your store, don't hesitate to post on Shopify Community again!