Having Variants *only* show on POS

Dirky
Excursionist
39 0 6

Yeah weird request! Dont suppose there is any way to have variants on a product, which show up on the POS

but you dont see the variant choices on the ecommerce?

Replies 16 (16)

hstb
Shopify Partner
139 3 70

For those variants, unpublish from the "Online" sales channel and publish on the "POS" sales channel.

Dirky
Excursionist
39 0 6
Thanks. I want the actual items to show in both but not the variants in the e-commerce.
hstb
Shopify Partner
139 3 70

What would show on ecommerce? Just general info about the product? Would they be able to purchase the product but only in one "configuration"? Or not purchase at all?

Dirky
Excursionist
39 0 6

@hstb wrote:

What would show on ecommerce? Just general info about the product? Would they be able to purchase the product but only in one "configuration"? Or not purchase at all?

Exactly, just one variant would be available on e-commerce.

So we run a small craft beer bar and currently we are selling some of our beer in cans (we can it ourselves) and sell it online for delivery. Currently we

are only selling cans of the product, so there is no variant set at the moment.

However, when we open the bar in future, we will want the same products on the POS but to be available in different measures:-

1/2 pint

2/3 pint

1 pint

440ml can

Essentially I dont want people ordering on e-commerce to be able to choose anything else, other than the 440ml can size.

Hope that makes sense.

@hstb wrote:

Dirky
Excursionist
39 0 6

Has anybody got thoughts on this.

You may have a product which you can sell in store with certain variants but, you dont want to offer those variants in 

the e-commerce site, perhaps they make the product too heavy, too large or too fragile to ship.

Can this be added as a feature perhaps??

Lozza2304
Visitor
1 0 0
Can you explain how you publish and Unpublish certain products on one or the other?
JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

@Lozza2304 You just select which channel you want each product on as per the images (you can also do this in bulk in the bulk product editor, see last image)

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 17.35.31.png

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 17.35.48.png

----

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 17.37.14.png

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

Just to clarify though - this does not answer the OPs question which was how do you hide certain variants from online but have them available on POS.

To do that, the easiest way is to create two separate products i.e. using OPs products. Product 1 - which is 440ml cans and Product 2 - which has all variants. Then you would make Product 1 available online and Product 2 available on POS.

Not the most elegant of solutions and you'd need to make sure you don't double up on stock of the cans, but works.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
Dirky
Excursionist
39 0 6

Hay Jon,

Yes thats a workaround for now I guess. Not ideal as it means adding the product twice and with a 

varied and changing inventory, its time consuming.

Cheers!

Stephen34
Shopify Partner
68 1 85

@Dirky   When  you have your item in Shopify then later decide to add the larger volumes, you can just go to the product and in the top left under the item name click "duplicate" it will open to a new item with all the info moved over and you can just change the sku and add variants.  That may make it a little easier if you have long descriptions and such.  Well you dont really have to change the sku, however I would probably change that or the title so spare confusion when looking at things on the backend.

TylerT
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I was wondering if the situation on this matter has changed?

Essentially, I wish to do what the OP was originally suggesting. That is, to have a product variant show only on the POS. The only difference is that I was hoping to use a csv database so that I can import a lot of product onto shopify at once. Is there a column I can flag as true or false on a csv database that will then import into shopify that will designate a variant as POS only or can it only be done through the shopify admin portal?

Thanks, Tyler

petgrocer
Trailblazer
215 2 326

This is still a concern if you are using POS and want an item only on the POS (they have a 'POSOnly' tag they set up so you would think it should work). Currently if we want to do an order for a product from a vendor, or receive it into inventory using Stocky, it MUST be published on the website. Otherwise it doesn't show up. POSOnly is pointless if you use Stocky, which we do because we have so many skus and vendors and suppliers. This needs to be fixed so we can take items off our website that we don't want published.

Additionally, you can't let clients pre-purchase and pay online or with a draft order for items you don't show as having in stock, so you basically can't accept payments on layaway or pre-orders. So looking forward to actual feedback on these issues. Thanks.

PacCloudSeafood
Shopify Partner
12 0 11

Looking for this feature as well

worderella
Tourist
3 0 1

Looking for this feature as well... I drop ship my books most of the year, but certain times of the year I attend in-person markets and want a variant just for the point of sale so it doesn't trigger the drop ship automation/SKU.

tdcmarketing
Visitor
1 0 0

Looking for this feature as well

csmithw
Tourist
3 0 14

looking for this as well. except for something only available online and not in pos. too many variants make for a very muddy POS. gift boxes only an option for online.