Help! POS won't accept Amex when it's via Apple Pay (but accepts physical Amex cards)

magculturedan
Tourist
3 0 0

We accept Amex in our shop... but whenever anyone tries to pay with their digital Amex card (aka, using Apple Pay) it doesn't work/our POS won't accept it. If it's the actual, physical Amex card, it works – it's just via Apple Pay that it doesn't work. Does anyone know why that might be? 

Thanks for reading!

Danielle

Replies 5 (5)

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi, @magculturedan!

Thanks for reaching out in our Community forums and sharing your concern. I’m happy to help out.

It sounds like a customer is having troubles when trying to make a purchase through Apple Pay with their Amex card. Do you recall what the error message said? Are you able to confirm if this occurred with multiple customers? This will help gather more information about the issue. 

Typically, it could depend on the restrictions on the card with a digital wallet, so it’s suggested that they contact the card issuer to confirm the status. I’m not finding any limitations with Apple Pay and Amex through our POS system, so I recommend reaching out to our Help Center to create a support request as we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. This way, our team can access your account and examine the specific payment attempt to learn more about the issue. 

Kindly let me know if you have more questions and feel free to share any updates on this thread! 

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

magculturedan
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello Mac,

Thanks for your reply! The issue occurs frequently with multiple customers who are trying to use the digital version of their Amex card. Our card reader and/or the POS just won't accept it in its Apple/Google Pay form. We have no problem when it's the physical Amex card itself.

Does that make any difference to your advice?

Thanks again,

D

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi again, @magculturedan

Thank you so much for sharing more information regarding your situation.

As you confirmed that this issue is affecting multiple digital Amex cards, we may need to take a closer look. Although we do not have any open incidents regarding this, I kindly suggest reaching out to our Support team and opening a ticket since we’re not able to provide account-specific support via our Community Forums at this time. Rest assured, our technical team will investigate this on a case to case basis and find out more information as to why the reader is not accepting the cards. Apologies again for any inconvenience this has caused and let's hope to get it sorted out soon. 

Feel free to reply back to this thread with any questions or updates and we can continue our conversation further!

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JerryCic
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi

Just to add my two cents.

I work for a company that is not connected to Shopify.

In fact i wrote our POS system. (PCI certified)

We have the same issue. AMEX works outside of apple pay but when the customer uses the same card via apple pay, It fails.

We are still trying to get to the bottom of it.

If we can figure out our end, i will post here in case it it is of some use to you.

Jerry C

JerryCic
Visitor
2 0 0

P.S. we are using MX925s